Sign in with
Your question

Restoring .bkf (XP) backup files in Windows 7 Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
October 7, 2012 6:42:18 AM

I'm running the Windows virtual XP op sys on my Windows 7 Pro platform. I can't restore the .bkf files that I created in XP Pro, because the XP restore utility says that there is unrecognizable content. I get the same response with 2 separate .bkf files created 20 days apart. I've also tried File Extension Changer program to see if I could restore the backup directly from Windows 7, but that program also says it can't recognize the files. How can I restore these XP .bkf files?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:29:27 PM

Did you have the xp backup program verify the backups after they were created? It's possible that they got corrupt.
October 8, 2012 2:26:56 PM

No, I didn't have XP verify the backups, but it seems odd that both backups, 20 days apart, would have the same corruption issue. Since I'm in Africa, I won't have a chance to redo the desktop backup in LA until January, and when I do I'll just backup folders individually to a portable drive and skip the XP issue. Meanwhile I'll see if I can find another short-term option. Thanks for the feedback.
Related resources
December 4, 2012 5:37:21 AM

You can got your solution here http://msbkfrecovery.blogspot.com/

how to safe your backup and take precaution when your backup file corrupted and how to recovery.
March 21, 2014 3:15:35 AM

Hello wbrapp,

There is no such manual solution to recover .bkf file. There are many third-party tools in the market...you can search it on google. But do try its demo version and read carefully about the product before purchasing it. you can also try SysInfoTools Backup Exec BKF Repair Pro software. Its free demo version is also available but the option to save your recovered data is disabled in demo version.

!