Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What should I return/keep?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 23, 2012 4:28:54 PM

Hi, I ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and 3 Rosewill case fans from Newegg. I thought it would be good to just keep my PC cooler but now I'm being tempted by SSDs (128GB), and I would have to return the fans to have money for an SSD because I'm not the richest man alive. I'm also not sure about overclocking. As you can see, I have a 965 Black Edition but I'm a little nervous about what could go wrong because I've heard a lot of horror stories about overclocking. I've already installed one of the case fans as an intake by my graphics card but I don't know I should put the other 2 fans in at the top of the case for exhaust.

So, given that the fans cost $7.99 each and the heatsink cost $31.99, what should I keep and what should I return? Please be aware that I'm just a light gamer, probably like one gaming session per week at most and nothing too demanding. Also, I'm not going to overclock my graphics card, but I'm just unsure about my CPU.

Thanks! :) 

More about : return

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2012 7:25:42 PM

I would keep the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, the Phenoms generally run a bit hot. I myself have the Kuhler 620 right now which is the equivalent of the Hyper 212 and it keeps my processor below high 50's when I had my 4.0 ghz overclock on my Phenom 955 Black edition. Anyways what is your current fan setup? Based on that I can let you know if you should return the fans or not.
November 23, 2012 10:38:40 PM

socialfox said:
I would keep the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, the Phenoms generally run a bit hot. I myself have the Kuhler 620 right now which is the equivalent of the Hyper 212 and it keeps my processor below high 50's when I had my 4.0 ghz overclock on my Phenom 955 Black edition. Anyways what is your current fan setup? Based on that I can let you know if you should return the fans or not.

Hi socialfox,
Thank you for the reply! I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 case and it came with 3 case fans. I got those 3 case fans from Newegg and I only opened one of them because I thought 3 might be a little too much since I don't have a fan controller and I could only plug one of the new fans into the motherboard; the rest would have to be plugged into the power supply and run at full speed. So I installed the one fan on the side panel as an intake so the graphics card would be cooler since it was like 61 degrees Celsius after 10 minutes of gaming. I haven't tested the temps since installing the fan. The fans that came with the case were one on the front and two on the back. I believe the only place to mount any more fans is on the top of the case where I can put 2, probably as an exhaust. Would you mount these fans? And BTW I'm using the stock heatsink right now.

As for the CPU fan, I think it would be cool (pardon the pun) to overclock the CPU but it wouldn't be worth it to me if it's going to shorten the life of the CPU or if I'm going to have trouble in the Ai tweaker. The computer runs fine and I think the only upgrade it could really use is an SSD. By the way, my case is quite a hot mess with cables everywhere, so I don't even know if the Hyper 212 would fit, but I should probably measure it first.

Also, if I may ask, do you still have the Phenom? Why did you stop overclocking?

Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate the answers!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2012 10:57:14 PM

Looks like you have good enough air flow in your computer case, if you can take a picture so I can get a visualization of that fans within the computer case and make sure its good. So far I would say return the 2 fans. HOWEVER I believe newegg charges a 15% restocking fee for returning non-defective items.

I stopped overclocking it because I had to switch my power supply, I switched to a very bad Cooler Master power supply while my Corsair CX-430 was arriving. I just got my new power supply yesterday and now am going to overclock it back to 4 ghz. In addition, you do not shorten the life span of the CPU if you keep it relatively cool, I would say 62 degrees and below is safe for Phenoms. Also doesn't the Haf 912 have cable management? You should use the side behind the motherboard for putting those cables away and re-routing them. Either way I have seen a haf 912 and Hyper 212 work together.
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:31:31 PM

socialfox said:
Looks like you have good enough air flow in your computer case, if you can take a picture so I can get a visualization of that fans within the computer case and make sure its good. So far I would say return the 2 fans. HOWEVER I believe newegg charges a 15% restocking fee for returning non-defective items.

I stopped overclocking it because I had to switch my power supply, I switched to a very bad Cooler Master power supply while my Corsair CX-430 was arriving. I just got my new power supply yesterday and now am going to overclock it back to 4 ghz. In addition, you do not shorten the life span of the CPU if you keep it relatively cool, I would say 62 degrees and below is safe for Phenoms. Also doesn't the Haf 912 have cable management? You should use the side behind the motherboard for putting those cables away and re-routing them. Either way I have seen a haf 912 and Hyper 212 work together.

Yeah, it does have cable management; I kind of used it but I was just really excited to put it together so I did it really fast. I might have to go back and cut the zip ties but that's ok. I actually don't have the computer with me right now because I lent it to my grandpa since his computer's hard drive broke (he needs a quad core to type emails and Word docs) so I can't take a picture, maybe later but anyway I think I'll keep the Hyper 212 but maybe return the other fans, we'll see, maybe I'll just keep them all. Considering that all the fans got 5 egg reviews, especially the Hyper 212, I might as well keep it so I'll have the freedom to overclock in the future and it doesn't hurt to keep it cool. But yeah the HAF 912 is a pretty big case so I think it should be able to handle it.
Thanks
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:32:41 PM

Best answer selected by amdphenomkde.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2012 11:37:26 PM

amdphenomkde said:
Yeah, it does have cable management; I kind of used it but I was just really excited to put it together so I did it really fast. I might have to go back and cut the zip ties but that's ok. I actually don't have the computer with me right now because I lent it to my grandpa since his computer's hard drive broke (he needs a quad core to type emails and Word docs) so I can't take a picture, maybe later but anyway I think I'll keep the Hyper 212 but maybe return the other fans, we'll see, maybe I'll just keep them all. Considering that all the fans got 5 egg reviews, especially the Hyper 212, I might as well keep it so I'll have the freedom to overclock in the future and it doesn't hurt to keep it cool. But yeah the HAF 912 is a pretty big case so I think it should be able to handle it.
Thanks

No problemo, if you ever need help regarding this thread or anything else then don't hesitate to PM me, I will gladly assist you.

- Socialfox :) 
m
l
!