Sign in with
Your question

Extremely slow hardware scan on bootup

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2010 12:08:38 PM

Hello, at the beginning of the boot after the bios is read, a small scan window appears. It used to only scan from left to right about 5-8 times before the windows emblem popped up. Now it scans about 40-50 times. The computer runs great after bootup. Help!!!!
a c 78 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 12:58:31 PM

It sounds like you have a bunch of programs trying to load in the background during the boot/load process. Hers is wha I would try...

When you have your PC up and running, go to your start menu and type in MSCONFIG and hit enter.

Go to the Boot tab, select Advanced Options, check # of Processors and select the max number under the drop down box, hit OK. Set TIMEOUT to 3 seconds.

Go to the Startup tab, unselect all applications that are not critical to the startup process. Click Apply, Okay then a screen will pop up asking to Restart or exit with out Restarting. Select Restart and see if this has improved your load times.
m
l
April 24, 2010 1:58:36 PM

tecmo34 said:
It sounds like you have a bunch of programs trying to load in the background during the boot/load process. Hers is wha I would try...

When you have your PC up and running, go to your start menu and type in MSCONFIG and hit enter.

Go to the Boot tab, select Advanced Options, check # of Processors and select the max number under the drop down box, hit OK. Set TIMEOUT to 3 seconds.

Go to the Startup tab, unselect all applications that are not critical to the startup process. Click Apply, Okay then a screen will pop up asking to Restart or exit with out Restarting. Select Restart and see if this has improved your load times.

Hello Tecmo34, Well, I tried what you said to do and it didn't seem to make a difference. It did seem to help the boot up from the signin to fully booted. I think I may have a hardware disk problem. I may format the disk and then load up a copy of vista and see how it boots. If OK, I will rebuild the disk software. If not, I will take it in to get it checked out. I wish I had a real good backup when it was working 100%. I also ran bootrec.exe and it didn't seem to help.... Do you have any more Ideas??? I really want to try everything before I take it in to have them check it out. I get the following error when I run NOD32:::
Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector.

Thanks ComputerPlayer
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 2:36:07 PM

I would run a diskscan to see if it can detect / fix any sector errors. This might help with you error. Also, do you have the ability to check your S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive? This will tell you if the drive is failing to..
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 11:24:43 PM

Try disabling the hard disk S.M.A.R.T check functionality in the bios and then check once more..
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:32:31 PM

Emperus said:
Try disabling the hard disk S.M.A.R.T check functionality in the bios and then check once more..

Emperus, There is no way of disabling the hard disk S.M.A.R.T. check functionality in the bios that I know of. I checked the self diags and I saw the smart check run for 2 seconds and passed. I have checked the disk hardware many different ways and they all passed with flying colors! I suspect the software may be messed up in the boot area. I really don't want to Format the disk. I do not have a good back up and would loose some very valuable programs. The last boot up scanned 40 times. The computer works great after boot but 40 scans is ridiculous.... Do you have any other ideas that I can try????
I get the following error when I run NOD32::::
Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector. I suspect the data it is looking for is curruped. The hardware is OK......

Thanks ComputerPlayer
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:53:06 PM

If you have corrupted info in the MBR you better backup your "very valuable programs" PDQ. While the error indicates the error is in the backup or 2nd MBR do you want to bet the file is corrupt or the MBR? Once backed up run fdisk/mbr from the console. I've run it from both the safe mode DOS prompt and from the recovery console, 60/40 it will trash the HD.

Bottom line, sector read error=bad, bad sectors "grow", bad sector=bad HD.

Someone will come along and try to minimize this and tell you you can lock this out and recondition that to make it all better. Yeah, bet your HD on it, don't backup.
m
l
April 25, 2010 11:11:46 PM

misry said:
If you have corrupted info in the MBR you better backup your "very valuable programs" PDQ. While the error indicates the error is in the backup or 2nd MBR do you want to bet the file is corrupt or the MBR? Once backed up run fdisk/mbr from the console. I've run it from both the safe mode DOS prompt and from the recovery console, 60/40 it will trash the HD.

Bottom line, sector read error=bad, bad sectors "grow", bad sector=bad HD.

Someone will come along and try to minimize this and tell you you can lock this out and recondition that to make it all better. Yeah, bet your HD on it, don't backup.

MISRy, I'm going to format the disk and install Vista and give it a try and see how it reacts. If it still starts slow, it's off to the store to get a new disk. OH, the error I'm receiving from NOD32::::Error occurred while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector. I removed my 3.1 mbs Novell modem from my USB and now I don't get the error. I still have the slow startup though. Can you think of what would cause 40-50 scans everytime I boot???

Thanks ComputerPlayer
m
l
!