Upgrading my Gaming Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceSun

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
This desktop is mainly for gaming and I'm not adept in computers.

My Budget is nothing more than 150 bucks each.

CASE:
Currently I would like a new case as my current one is dented all over the place (don't ask).
I've done some research and it looks like the Antec Nine Hundred is a solid case. I'm deciding between the Antec Nine Hundred or the Antec Nine Hundred Two
Thoughts, opinions, reccomendations are most definitely welcomed.

Graphics Card:
I currently have one 9800 GTX 512MB and was wondering if I should go SLI and buy 2 9800GTX 1GB for 60 bucks (don't ask) Of course then I'd have to get a mobo that supports SLI and maybe even power supply (my powersupply is 650W) So my current dilemma is if I should go SLI or not. My monitor isn't very big (1440x900 I believe) so it won't benefit as much as a 23''. I mainly play COD4 and other online fps's. Thoughts, opinions, and reccomendations are welcomed for both choices (if i go SLI which graphics cards should I get and vice versa).

Motherboard:
As mentioned above, I may go SLI, and my socket is 775 with a Core 2 Q9300. Your thoughts and reccomendations on which mobo I should get for SLI and just single.

Cooling:
The cooling for my desktop isn't very good and was wondering which fans I should get, and of course this also links to what case i'm going to get. I don't have much preferance to how loud the desktop would be, as long as it doesn't sound like a lawn mower. I may go liquid cooling if the price is right, but installation is going to be risky for a novice like me.

Other:
I also might buy a mouse/keyboard for gaming. Was wondering about the SteelSeries Xai for a mouse and keyboard maybe the G15 or Lycosa. Thoughts on these stuff (first hand experience would be better) would be awesome.

Thanks,
Vince

Solution
Basically, as long as your current motherboard works, it makes way more sense to just get a better single video card. Putting in a new motherboard just so you can SLI is probably going to be more expensive, not to mention a pain in the ass.

As far as the case goes, those both ought to do a lot to improve your cooling ... but, as some have undoubtedly heard me say before, my personal opinion is that a top fan's main function is usually as a doorway for spilled beverages to pass through a split-second before they ruin your machine. Yes, it's completely preventable, but yes, also be careful with that, especially if your other case was in a place where it could get beat to hell.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Here are the two most suitable MBs. The Gigabyte board is CrossFireX certified and has an INTEL ICH10R (RAID) SouthBridge ... I know you have been an nVidia guy, for awhile, but this board has much better/faster memory expansion options and ATi is already pumping out DirectX-11 cards, at mainstream prices. So I am recommending, for your purposes, to switch to ATi graphics, at this juncture.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

Or, if you insist, this Asus board (also popular w/lots of reviews) is even much cheaper and is SLI certified (for nVidia) but it has an nForce chipset and will not (apparently) run the faster memory speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

Finally, just get the best air-cooling that Newegg has for socket 775 ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

Water cooling, for this aging platform, is over-kill and wasted mooh-lah.

=Alvin=

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.328153

The biggest sacrifice we made this month with the $700 gaming PC was to grab the cheapest available 4GB kit of DDR2-800. After the author’s $701 wish list was submitted, the instant discount on the DFI motherboard expired, raising the final cost at order time.

$700 Gaming PC System Components

Component
Model
Price

CPU
Intel Pentium E5300
$70

CPU Cooler
Xigmatek HDT-SD964
$22

Motherboard
DFI BI P45-T2RS
$105

RAM
Corsair 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Model VS4GBKIT800D2 G
$74

Graphics
2 XFX HD-487A-YWFC Radeon HD 4870 512MB
$250

Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0 Gb/s
$55

Sound
Integrated

Network
Integrated

Case
Antec Two Hundred
$45

Power
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
$75

Optical
Samsung Black 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-S223C
$26

Total

$722

Well, $150 isn't alot to work with. I'm not sure if you meant that was for each component or if $150 was your budget in total. Anyway, LGA775 SLI boards are not the most reliable. Not only that but they have been out of production for sometime and there is currently only one listed over on new egg

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i $94.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

And you will need a good PSU with at least two 6 pin PCI-E connectors like

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015

As for a case, the Antec 900 should serve you well, but when you go buy it check to see if there are any combo deals with it as newegg often has Antec PSU and Case Combos.

Basically, as long as your current motherboard works, it makes way more sense to just get a better single video card. Putting in a new motherboard just so you can SLI is probably going to be more expensive, not to mention a pain in the ass.

As far as the case goes, those both ought to do a lot to improve your cooling ... but, as some have undoubtedly heard me say before, my personal opinion is that a top fan's main function is usually as a doorway for spilled beverages to pass through a split-second before they ruin your machine. Yes, it's completely preventable, but yes, also be careful with that, especially if your other case was in a place where it could get beat to hell.

Solution

That's what I mean. For a while, it seemed like there was one every couple of days. I wonder why it died down.

Oh well, they'll be back. Because if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that people are unbelievably careless about things like that.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Oh my, that thing could take a hit from literally any direction.

For me, I've never spilled anything near electronic stuff. But I've seen friends to it to my friends (although this guy is unbelievably clumsy, I used to think I was till seeing the stuff he does) stuff and once if his layout was different one of them almost hit his own stuff. (my drink is also on the opposite side of the desk from where the computer sits.)

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
After looking at that case it really is a pretty cool one. I think I'd be fine with it personally, because for me drinks have no place even near there.

Though I'm not sure why exactly you'd want different optical drives opening in different directions or the ability to switch if the PSU is on the top or bottom. Other than just weirding people out when they see you open the trays and they're sticking out in very unexpected ways.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Makes bunches of sense for my project studio... I have my boxes up on racks with the wires facing sideways, for quick access.

I do a lot of "on the fly" configuration changes ... mostly the rear panel, though.
Also ... I don't use Air Conditioning. My 7th story windows stay open.

= Al = I NEED a porch with a jungle gym !.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS