1st time builder, gaming rig 1600$

Sl0v4

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 Weeks

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, OS, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor,Case and Optical Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: as reference take newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Slovakia

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, ATI graphics

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes - later (6 months from purchase)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920*1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Nothing special

CPU:
Core i5 - 750
195$

Mobo:
ASUS E-Pro
190$

Cooler:
Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
80$

Memory: Need Advice, pls

Graphics:
XFX 5870 XXX BE
430$

comes later in CF - a question to this: is this platform, p55, good enough or should i choose X58?

HDD:
WD Caviar Black 500GB 32MB

3xHDD cos of raid 5.
210$

PSU: Need advice, pls.

Except PSU and Memory its 1105$

I will use Collermaster 932 HAF case and some random Optical drive - doesnt matter now.

If someone would have some advice for PSU and Memory i would be thankfull.

PS: Prices @ newegg.com are very similar to the prices @ my country (slovakia) and the parts are mostly available.

Sorry for my english.

Thank you

Solution
Cooler: Switch to the cheaper Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 ($115)

PSU: Any 850W unit from Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling, or Silverstone. Typically $120-150. This one is one of the best right now.

GPU: Don't get the XXX version. That's just factory overclocked, and can be done with 3 clicks using ATI's software. P55 is good enough for Crossfire. The difference between P55 and X58 is 4%. Not worth the additional $300.

HDD: Switch to the Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's cheaper and faster.
Cooler: Switch to the cheaper Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 ($115)

PSU: Any 850W unit from Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, PC Power & Cooling, or Silverstone. Typically $120-150. This one is one of the best right now.

GPU: Don't get the XXX version. That's just factory overclocked, and can be done with 3 clicks using ATI's software. P55 is good enough for Crossfire. The difference between P55 and X58 is 4%. Not worth the additional $300.

HDD: Switch to the Samsung Spinpoint F3. It's cheaper and faster.

Solution

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello there!

Check out this combo deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.326295

**The reviews on this new XFX 850w PSU are outstanding! Look it up if you get a chance.

Here is some solid RAM for the price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

**The timings are excellent (7-8-7-24 2N)

You can do some seriuos overclocking with that i5 750 cpu, so your are good there. I have mine running at 3.7ghz with ease. I know it can go quite a bit higher but I don't need it to. I'm cooling my i5 750 with...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

You can't beat the performance/price of that heatsink!

You'll easily be able to do Xfire with the p55 chipset in the future so you're fine there also.

I also built my new PC with the ASUS p7p55d-e pro motherboard and am very happy with the performance so far. It is even ready for USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0!!!

Good luck with your build! It looks like you will not be disappointed with it!

Take care!

- manooly

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

850w is plenty for your setup. As far as not trusting XFX, yes they are new to the market and I am no expert by any means but if you do some research and reading on this psu you'll find the actual experts do think this is a great psu. I actually am running with the new XFX 850w and XFX 5870 combo in my new build and it is great so far. Extremely efficient and quite psu. Having said that, I do not blame you if you went with Antec, Corsair, etc. just based on their reputation. Good luck with your decision!

Sl0v4

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Okay, thanks guys....have been searching, and reading, mostly on this website, and finally i have config i will buy :)

Again, thanks for advices, tips, etc. This is a great site with nice members.

Im going with corsair @psu and the OCZ @memory, because the g.skill ripjaws is probably the only component thats not available in slovakia...yet :)

Thanks again