How much will overclocking help ?

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Alright well I was thinking about overclocking my i5 2500k for some time now and Im still thinking if I should or not. Main question is will overclocking my i5 to 4.8ghz ( thats my goal ) help when using fraps. I recently got into recording my gameplay and im wondering if I overclock if my performance will go up.

My pc specs

I5 2500k 3.3ghz
HD 7970
16gb ram 1600mhz
SSD for my OS and programs
Raid 0 setup with 2hds for where my Fraps recordings go to write speed is 202mb/s

So thats pretty much it just wondering if overclocking is worth it, I mainly want to try it out just to see if my fps will increase while recording. When i set up the raid 0 I did get more fps in game when recording so I wana see if overclocking will have any benefits when using fraps.

I record at 60fps at full size (1920x1080) and I get pretty good frames in game for the most part, I usually have 45+ when recording. It also depends what area im in if its populated and theres alot of building around I end up having 30-40 but sometime drops to 25 :(

I also have my in game settings maxed out and vsync turned off. The game Im playing is planetside2.

I am fairly sure you will see an increase in frame rates from overclocking your CPU. Make sure you have some kind of decent cooler (better than Intel stock) on your CPU. In some games, I've seen up to 25% FPS increase just from CPU overclocking (Aerofly 5 and FSX)

mailpranshu

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hi Huntsman,

As a rule of thumb, multiplayer and MMORPG/FPS benefit with a stronger CPU. WOW and BF3 multiplayer for example get a better frame rate when you overclock.

Overclock your 2500K and you will definitely see a difference on heavily populated servers. Your frame rates will go up. I am on a 7870 with a 2600K @ 4.6 Ghz and have found game play smooth.

Here is a link for some CPU / GPU comparisons that I found online.

http://forums.videocardz.com/topic/188-planetside-2-performance-test/

Let me know if you need any other help.

Regards,
Prashant

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
^ thanks guys, well now im actually considering overclocking it. Just gotta pick a day and do it. Never new multiplayer/mmos would benefit I would think 3.3ghz was enough but of course the higher the better. Once I overclock it Il come back and let you guys know if my frames increased.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
actually since im here you know any good overclocking guides with a gigabyte z68 mobo?, I pretty much know all the basics and how to overclock but since its a different chip than from the older ones I use to do Im wondering if i have to touch the PLL setting and the LLC or some load line calibration stuff. Alot of people just say adjust the v core and multiplier, set the ram to whatever it suppose to run at, and change the base clock a lil higher so its even 100mhz and then change the multipliers, but im wondering about all the other extra settings and how they should be configured.

DeepDystopia

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
going from 3.3 to 4.8 is unrealistic, unless you have liquid cooling, and your priocessor was made on a perfect day. the average overclock is 15-20%, some do worse, and some do much better. going from 3.3 to 4.8 is like a 43% oc, and it is doubtful that your motherboard would even haldle it, let alone an air cooled cpu. if you can get a 20% oc on your cpu and ram on air cooling, then youll improve your frame rate about 10-15%. a 20% oc from 3.3 would be 3.9, almost 4ghz, that should be good enuf...

cuecuemore

Distinguished

The answer is no. Get some SB OC experience under your belt and then comment. I've never seen a chip that couldn't do 4.4 on air out of quite a few 2500k/2600k's I've worked with. 4.8 is a great goal; there is a slight chance that it's simply not achievable, but that doesn't mean that OP can't shoot for it.

Here's a good Sandy Bridge overclocking guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridge-series-overclocking-cores-guide
Good luck

darkstaride

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
You will see a big increase, believe me!

But search tutorials first, just don't change the settings be like, " I'm done ! "

If you put it way too high, it can shorten your computer life and it might damage, or
cause to even give you a worse fps in your life!

Please watch tutorials carefully!
CAREFULLY!!!!!
I warned you.
But don't come crying to me.
If you did succeed you probaly get 20 + fps than before.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks everyone and yeah iv read some tuts I was ready to overclock but Im still debating because I have a condenser mic and if I overclock, my rig is going to be pretty loud having all the fans on max. Which wont bother me but the microphone will pick it up easily and Il have alot of background noise.

Yup read some tuts even printed some tutorials out, downloaded all my benchmarking software :) reason my goal is 4.8ghz is cause I see alot of people were able to hit that not a big deal if my cpu cant but thats just what im aiming for.

lolz at DeepDystopia saying max 3.9 on air iv read multiple threads on alot of forums and many people were able to go wayy past that on air.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I went from stock 3.4Ghz to 4Ghz. I actually cooled my processor a LOT by doing so. I took the voltages into my own hands and tweaked with settings. And by the way, from 3.4 to 4.0 I saw a nice little jump in FPS on PS2.

Anyways, my vcore would jump to 1.35 or a little higher on STOCK settings when it was being slapped by IBT. This would cause temperatures of over 70C. After getting myself a Hyper212+ and trying stock, those voltages landed me in the mid 60C's on average. Now with my voltage offset lowered, clocked at 4Ghz, and passing prime95 for 24 hours without a hitch; I'm maxing out in the mid 50's of temperature. Could I go higher, absolutely! I've had her stable at 4.5ghz but just wanted to stay below 60C for now. I know it's a low temperature but I want this processor to last me 10 years. ROFL. One day, maybe next year it'll be my HTPC mobo/cpu. Either way, once you learn these chips man, you will love it.

My suggestion, stay under 1.4v on air, start overclocking with the speedstep/powersaving turned off, and a fixed vcore. Finding an offset vcore that works and allows you to enable all the power saving features without instability can take quite a while and gets mind boggling in the least. Baby steps and you'll be on your way to a great FPS gain.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
nice man, thats what I have read as well stay under 1.5v but alot of people recommend going max around 1.42v or so plus or minus. I really cant wait to overclock but I might wait up until i get a closed loop for the cpu so I wont need my case fans running maxed out when i hit that 4.8ghz lol. I currently got a corsair a70 heatsink and it does a good job idle im in the mid 30s and while playing games depends on what game im around the low 50s but thats with all my fans turned down on low aw yeah.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I run PS2 with the fans at about 1000rpm which is very quiet and never break 55C with my Hyper212+. However, I have two silverstone FM121's rated at 110CFM@2400RPM. At max there isn't anything that pushes my CPU to 60C, even IntelBurnTest can't push it that hard. :)