Hotfix does not fix gray screen

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Windows 7
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2010 1:19:00 AM

The ATI hotfix for the gray screen of death did not work for me. ATI R5700 card, Windows 7 64 bit. The screen went gray with vertical lines within 6 hrs of operation after installing the hotfix. It happened while using the internet. $200 for a two month old card that doesn't work is not what I expect from any one.

More about : hotfix fix gray screen

Best solution

February 8, 2010 1:47:27 AM

Yep, the fix for the 5700 should be out "soon". I agree this is a bit outrageous for those unlucky enough to get a card with gray screen issues.
Related resources
February 8, 2010 3:09:29 AM

Your correct. There was a 2nd update to the (update that said the hotfix was for the 5700 cards also). Didn't see that before I installed the hotfix. Thanks for the info. I'll wait for the hotfix for the 5700 cards. So far the grey screen has happened 12 times in the last 45 days.
m
l
February 9, 2010 6:05:37 PM

Same problem here.
m
l
February 9, 2010 9:49:59 PM

Maybe i got lucky. Do you guys know if the rest of your systems are stable? As i see it, the gray screen seems to replace the blue screen, for example when i was overclocking my CPU (note that i said cpu), instead of getting BSODs i'd get GSODs.
m
l
February 19, 2010 11:19:20 PM

XD_dued said:
Maybe i got lucky. Do you guys know if the rest of your systems are stable? As i see it, the gray screen seems to replace the blue screen, for example when i was overclocking my CPU (note that i said cpu), instead of getting BSODs i'd get GSODs.

I finally put my old nvidia 8500GT card back in and it is working fine. No grey or blue screens. The one thing is with nvidia is they sometimes cause a mini crash when you go to print with (print with preview) checked on. Other then this I have had no issues with nvidia. By the way the print with preview crashes led me to switch to ATI in the first place. And of course with my luck, I picked one that has the grey screen problem.
m
l
February 20, 2010 12:12:52 AM

Best answer selected by johndbr.
m
l
!