Gaming system build for 300$?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks - a month.

BUDGET RANGE: 300-350 before rebates.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies.
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com - Best prefered.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel preferably but AMD is fine.

OVERCLOCKING: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a window in the case and well cooled system.

Thanks in advance!
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming system build
  1. Let me get this straight. You need all of the following:

CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    HDD
    GPU
    PSU
    Case
    Optical
    OS

Not happening on $350. The OS alone is $100. The cheapest CPU is about $50, as is the board. RAM doesn't get cheaper than $50. A good case and PSU is at least $100. Right there is your entire budget. No GPU, no optical, no HDD, and definitely no gaming.

You really need at least $600 to start a decnet quality build. Now, if you don't need some of those things (mainly the OS and either GPU or CPU/mobo/RAM), then we can do something.
  2. I have win xp and I can cut back on the case and psu, I have ram only need like 320gigs HDD. so that might help
  3. What type of RAM? I'm assuming DDR2. It's not a good idea to build a new PC using that right now. It's dying tech.

A 320 GB HDD is still $50. For $5 more, you can get one of the fastest 500 GB drives out there.

I'll see what I can throw together real fast. It will not be good for gaming though...

Working on the actual build...

CPU/Mobo: X2 240 and ASUS M4A77TD Combo for $109 after rebate
    RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1GB DDR3 1066 $58
    HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB $55
    PSU/Optical: Corsair 400W and cheap SATA DVD burner $60 after rebate
    Case: GIGABYTE gz-ph1a3 $20
    GPU: HD 4650 $30 after rebate

Total: $332 after rebates. I'm only confident in saying you can play games at 1280x1024 decently.
  4. Well Im getting ram from a different source so it doesn't matter really what type.
  5. Except it does matter what type. You need to have compatible types (i.e. a motherboard that uses DDR3 will only accept DDR3).
  6. Oh no I meant that I would be purchasing it from a different source other than newegg and I would look at the motherboard to decide that.
  7. Gotcha. Well you'll need DDR3. After that, what ever's cheap.
  8. Honestly, you aren't going to get a system even remotely good for close to $300. Even if you double that, you're still looking at a very low-end system for gaming.
  9. Yeah, that PSU is a POS. Stick to the combo I posted to make sure you get a quality unit. After all, it's only an extra $5 for the Corsair.
  10. Forgetting ram?
  11. OP's buying the RAM elsewhere. 5 posts up...
  12. That's also a DDR2 version of the HD4650, which will be muttly. If a HD4650 is all the GPU you can afford right now, at least get a DDR3 version. Better still, stretch your budget to a HD4670.
    Particularly assuming a future GPU upgrade, pick up a 430W Antec Earthwatts or 400W Corsair PSU at the least, although for 1920x1080 gaming, you will really want a GPU more likely to need a quality 500W PSU. Look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification. Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Monitors Systems Product