New controller board for my hard drive?

jcbullen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
So when I was installing a new storage drive (Western Digital MDL: WD1001FALS - 00Y6A0), I closed the side of the case which cause the SATA data cable to bend downwards and snapped off the little L shaped plastic connective piece on the hard drive as well as a couple of the gold connectors. Now the hard drive won't work and I was wondering if it was possible to find a replacement controller board. I've looked around a bit and it seems as if hard drive companies wont sell you one, most likely because they'd rather you buy a new one if something goes wrong and make more money. If I can't find a new controller board, would anybody know how to fix something like this?

autonomous

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
You can try straightening the connectors and glueing the plastic piece back in, or you can try calling Western Digital and seeing if they'll send you a new board.

jcbullen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Yeah the Western Digital website says that they dont do replacement controller boards. I'm not quite sure how I'd reattach the gold connector either... I just bought the drive so there wasn't much of anything on it, I just really don't want to have thrown $150 down the drain over a stupid little thing.

A direct board swap rarely works on modern WD drives. This is because each board stores unique, drive specific "adaptive" information, either in an 8-pin serial flash memory at location U12, or within the Marvell MCU. These data would need to be transferred to your replacement PCB.