Sign in with
Your question

Found New Hardware Wizard

Last response: in Windows XP
October 7, 2012 4:50:54 PM

Hello,

I've recently dug out my old hp pavilion slimline s7320n desktop, and I've been converting it to a sort of emulation game console. I've gotten everything set up correctly, but whenever the computer restarts, it says that it's found new hardware. It says it's a PCI Device

I've tried literally EVERYTHING to get this to go away, but it just won't budge. When it first came up, I went through the wizard, but after it was through, it immediately came up again. (Even when I told it not to). I've tried everything to get it to disappear. I've removed all the pci cards in the computer, I've disabled it in device manager, I've disabled the plugnplay ui in regedit, and I've disabled all the services related to plugnplay. No dice. Any help is appreciated!

More about : found hardware wizard

October 7, 2012 6:10:22 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I think in that model, it may refer to the media slot at the bottom of the front of the case. The only PCI devices are the TV Out card and the graphics if there was an add-on card. I have three of those boxes in my spare parts store, having failed to fix them from overheating products. With that experience, I have no faith in the product at all.

m
l
October 7, 2012 6:32:08 PM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I think in that model, it may refer to the media slot at the bottom of the front of the case. The only PCI devices are the TV Out card and the graphics if there was an add-on card. I have three of those boxes in my spare parts store, having failed to fix them from overheating products. With that experience, I have no faith in the product at all.

I disconnected everything from the motherboard (except the hard drive and power), and the message still popped up.
m
l
October 8, 2012 6:18:16 AM

Are you certain there isn't an entry in Device Manager with a yellow question or exclamation mark against it?

Go from Start to Run then in the open box, type msconfig and press Enter. On the form that shows up, click the StartUp tab and untick everything except your AV and Firewall. Click Apply and then open hte Services tab. Tick "Hide all Microsoft" and scrutinise what's left. Anything you untick in either tab can be reinstated later but you should have aclean startup so click Apply and OK your way out.

After the restart, tick "Don't show this message again" and if you don't get the Hardware Wizard, post back with the list of unticked items.

m
l
!