Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the most reliable ssd for a system that will only be used for the internet and watching youtube videos that is under $100. I have heard intel makes one of the most reliable ssd's but I really am not sure :p

Solution

U will not see any differences in practical use. Only in benchmarks : ))

U will not boot faster than my Vertex2 with your SATA3, get what u think is good for u.
There is not a very big selection of SSD's for $100 or less mostly 40gb and a few 60 -64gb. What are you going to be using it for?

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$99.99 and a $10 rebate makes it $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233223

This one has very good read/writes and has very good feedback as well.

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit
$94.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148447

This one has average read speed and slow write speed but excellent feedback.
I guess it would help to know what the SSD is to be used for. If it is the OS drive then it is kind of small and you will have to be constantly monitoring the capacity so as to not get it too full. I have used a 64gb SSD as the OS drive and it was full in no time with updates and upgrades and was forever moving files. Untill I got a larger SSD.

D

Deleted member 217926

Of the ones listed above I would get the Samsung > Crucial > Corsair.

Also as was said above it's going to suck having a C: drive less than 90-100GB. I would save some money and get a Samsung 830 128Gb drive so you don't have to micromanage it.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
let me just note, if not going to fallow SSD guide and willing to make some windows changes, 60 or 64gb will not cut it, windows (7) will use up the drive faster then imagine,
best target is to get 120gb or 128 version of SSD most popular and you can get on sale for ~100$

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
lots of companies assemble SSD's now day's they all use chips from few factories it's not like every "company" make there own,
aData, OCZ, Crucial, Kingston, Patriot are all good pick's
compared to rest big guns that make and sell like (Samsung, Intel)

Personally i have 4 aData ssd (not to mention tons of there ram) in my computers at home and so far year past no problems at all, just need to buy more lol

amuffin's been around here long enough to follow the SSD guide, I think. Just turn off Hibernate, shrink the pagefile, etc. 120gb would definitely be nice, but I honestly think you can just save your money if you're really going to do what you say.

If you are going to stick with what you have said about the way you intend to use your new SSD then a 80gb Intel SSD would be ok to go with. Even when SSD's first came out the Intel drives were the most reliable and though very expensive you just had no problems. The trade off it seems is that they have always had slower read/write speeds and thats what lends to being very reliable. So by upping your budget you can now get this 80gb Intel SSD for $150;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167047

game junky

Distinguished
I agree with Inzone - I currently have a 64GB crucial in my work laptop that was leftover from a project. It's quick enough to be a substantial improvement over a HDD and I don't have to worry about compatability issues with Intel's RST driver.

You'll need to do the usual tweaks:

disable hibernate/sleep, check power settings to make sure Hard Drive will never turn off unless the computer is turned off, disable defrag scheduling, confirm AHCI is enabled in BIOS when you install OS, etc.)

Other than that, it's beautiful. I have installed them in 20+ laptops from 2 different manufacturers and 7+ different seres of laptops and they all have worked great.

In my desktop at home, I use a 120 GB Intel 520 but that's twice your budget. If OCZ could get their stuff together and make their Sandforce controlled drives more reliable, I would say go with them. Lots of speed, but currently struggling with reliability. I RMA'd several before I gave up on them.

The Petrol is just fine, it is lower end of the OCZ line, bit slower, but not really noticeable and give u more GB per $$$ : )

game junky

Distinguished
The Samsung 830 are pretty good drives - they're almost as reliable and fast as the Intel 520 series. That's what Dell installs for SSDs in their laptops and you better believe they did some serious testing to get the best bang for their buck. Cheap and reliable will be Crucial. Cheap and fast would be OCZ but you make sure to back up your data daily. Samsung is mid-range speed, mid-range price and reliability. Intel is fast and reliable but expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.