Sign in with
Your question

Ati radeon hd 4650 and sp3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2010 1:52:31 AM

Hello,
after a fresh install of xp sp2 i installed the drivers for an ati radeon hd 4650 agp gfx card. I had to install catalyst and then the card from the inf file but everytime i install sp3 on xp my pc boot loops. Then if i boot into safe mode and remove the hd 4650 driver and not catalyst it boots fine after many attemps at trying to find a driver that works with sp3 im beat so could some1 help me plz

More about : ati radeon 4650 sp3

February 26, 2010 11:56:19 PM

I too am in the same Boat. Getting really fustrated aswell. has anyone had any luck with this card and windows xp sp3?
m
l
March 1, 2010 2:32:03 AM

MB Malfunction said:
Hello,
after a fresh install of xp sp2 i installed the drivers for an ati radeon hd 4650 agp gfx card. I had to install catalyst and then the card from the inf file but everytime i install sp3 on xp my pc boot loops. Then if i boot into safe mode and remove the hd 4650 driver and not catalyst it boots fine after many attemps at trying to find a driver that works with sp3 im beat so could some1 help me plz

I have the same card w/xp sp3 and just built a system last week. My onboard card (HD4200) was conflicting with the 4650. What I did was disabled my onboard graphics in the bios settings prior to windows boot. First, you will need your display connected to the 4650.
Go to: Advanced Bios Config.
Choose: IGX Config.
Select: Internal Graphics Mode-----Disabled. Save settings and exit. This should allow your system to boot with the 4650 installed.
Set up your 4650 in the ATI catalyst control center. That should be the only GPU showing. When finished, you can enable your onboard card in Device Manager.
If this doesn't work, reset your bios and we'll look for option two. (This worked for me and it's only one setting change.)
I think that there are new graphics drivers in the later sp3 versions that cause conflicts with two cards on initial boot.
Once I got running, both cards are functioning and I have a four display option (two on each card) set up in Catalyst.
m
l
!