Help me mod a mini-ITX case for a beast rig? ;)

So... I'm kinda insane. Here's my rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.4 GHz & 1.18V
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 w/7/8/8/24
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 2GB FTW edition, @ 1246 MHz
PSU: Corsair HX750 [Gold certified model]
SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 on a 6GB/s line
HHD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

Now then. I want to shove this into a mini-ITX case. This one, to be exact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345016

And I want to water cool it.

For those of you who are still here, and haven't abandoned me to my idiocy, help me plan some mods here, would you?

Here's what I'm looking at.

1) Removing the front panel of the motherboard stand / PSU cage. My power supply is too long for it and cables to fit in there. Any advice on how to support the structure?
I don't think leaving just the corners would do the trick.

2) Removing everything in the front so I can fit a 200mm square radiator and a reservoir, as well as a 240mm radiator up at the top. That shouldn't be a problem, as it only takes a screwdriver, but it makes the next couple things interesting.

3) Mounting a slim DVD-RW drive vertically along one side of the case. I have no idea how to go about doing this, and would love the advice. I was thinking to mount it on the side panel.

4) Finding somewhere to throw my 3.5" drive after removing all hard drive bays. I was thinking possibly lashing it down on the floor of the case with the reservoir on top of it. Wouldn't be too bad unless the reservoir broke...

5) Trying to fit watercooling for the graphics AND an intake fan between the PCIe slot and the side panel. (Because of the reservoir, my intakes will be at the back and side, both filtered.)

6) Doing something with the space above the motherboard; possibly a disco ball. :P

7) Removing the bottom handles and putting on rubber feet. Still not sure if I want to do this one or not - it'd make the case more portable, but slightly ruin the aesthetics.

8) This is the hardest... Moving the front I/O panel to the 5.5" bay slot. If there's a way to do this, I'd be ecstatic, but it's the hardest to do as far as I can see.

Any suggestions for other things to do to this case? Any way you can see of accomplishing the mods I'm worried about?
6 answers Last reply
More about help mini case beast
  1. Mods, sorry, I was being stupid, and the original question was "Help me fit a custom loop into a mini-ITX case."

If you could move this to Components > PSUs, cases, and mods, I'd be much appreciated.
  2. If you can pull this off, you're a wizard.
  3. Firstly your main board is too big, will not fit no matter what, you have to use a Mini-ITX mainboard

Basically what you want to do will wreck that case , and most of the internal supports.

perhaps a different idea or a different case
  4. Kitsune, I fully know I have to use a mini-ITX motherboard - I was just showing what I have to play with right now. I'd need the board and a watercooling setup.

That being said, what I'm asking is how to do this WITHOUT wrecking the internal supports. As for wrecking the case, it's called 'modding.' Since it's mostly internal, it won't matter how bad it looks. (Though I have the tools to finish edges and such.)

Hippo... thanks. :)
    I'm pretty hopeful.
  5. Does anyone have experience with this case? I'd like to get a rough gist of what kind of airflow I can expect if I max out the fans; I'd rather not spend $200 on a watercooling loop if I don't have to.
  6. Sigh. And this is why you shouldn't put up a post late at night.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cases Overclocking Product