sean10780

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:This week, This Month, Soon.

BUDGET RANGE: $200-$300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Windows Home Server Box

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard drives, memory

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com Anywhere with cheapest price

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, or intel celeron. Anything that is cheapest and good.

OVERCLOCKING: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: None

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking to upgrade my Windows home server box. I currently have an HP box with WHS installed, 4gig of DDR2 ram, 4 sata hard drives, and a DVDRW. I'm looking to upgrade everything, since HP really doesn't make it where you can take parts and move them to your own case.

I need a case with maximum airflow. I'd like to keep all the components in the range of green, because my server runs most of the day.

Here's what I've found so far:

Antec TWO HUNDRED S Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.335350

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX240OCGQBOX - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

I've got 4 sticks of 1gb DDR2 ram already that will transfer over along with my 4 sata hard drives. I need a board with 4 ddr2 memory slots.

Any advice on saving money or other parts that will work with my build?

Thanks.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
You could save some money by going with the AMD Sempron 140 CPU instead. It's also going to run cooler and use less energy so you'll save money in that regard as well. It's going to still be more than enough to run a WHS machine.\

Also, the Antec EA380D will be more than sufficient and save a few dollars.

By way of comparison, my WHS box is a P4 2.8Ghz machine with a 250W PSU with 4 HDDs, DVD-RW and never an issue with speed or power.

TRENDING THREADS