Trouble with data recovery

ItsLocBaby

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Friend's c drive crashed and I need to grab some music off of it. Tried to switch ownership of the his user folder to local administrator (e : /users/XXXX) so I could grant myself administrator rights over the folder. That ended up giving me "The request could not be completed because of an i/o device error" error message multiple times, specifically when trying to switch over ownership of some of the files in /AppData. I suspected physical damage was done to the drive itself. Started looking deeper into it and I noticed that the file system of the drive was RAW. Thought it was physical damage for sure now, but I could use a second opinion. Anyways, is there any way that I can force admin over his user folder so I can get to his desktop to grab that music? Or maybe even create a mirrored image of the drive so I can explore it freely without restrictions? I'm running out of ideas here. :(

ItsLocBaby

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

His drive is hooked up to my own PC. I took it out and popped it in there. I'll give cacls a try though; does this work for entire folders or just individual files?