Slow boot?

Aecursis

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have a brand new system (about a week old), and my boot times into Windows 7 64-bit seem pretty slow. From the time I hit the power button, it takes roughly a minute & a half to get into Windows. To me, that seems pretty slow for a new PC...especially considering my 4-year old rig with Vista boots faster.

My specs are:

Phenom II 955 C3
Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
Radeon 5850
4GB DDR3 1600MHz GSKILL
500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3
750W Corsair

All drivers are updated, the BIOS is flashed to the most recent version, Windows Update has been run regularly, HDD was defragged multiple times, CCleaner has been run, and all unecessary startup programs are disabled.

The POST seems pretty quick - it only sits at the BIOS splash screen for a second at most. It sits for a while at the Windows splash screen (black screen with the logo) and then at the Windows welcome screen for a while. Once it gets to my desktop, it loads pretty quickly.

Any ideas, or is this normal?

Aecursis

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, I don't have many startup programs at all. I'm at work right now, but if I recall correctly, it's basically just my anti-virus (Avast) that is checked in msconfig. Thanks for the articles.

oldgnube

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

Well let's see that makes two of us. I too have a new system very similar to yours, only with the PhenonII 965.

I am also underwhelmed by the boot speed with Win7 Pro. What's worse is that my 1.25GHz Sempron with XP only boots 9 seconds slower than my new machine .

I guess all we ended up with is braggin' rights that we "have NEW machines"?