Would I be safe to overclock with this setup?

sesbetr72

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($105.70 @ NCIX US)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $458.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-24 06:37 EST-0500)

Would it be safe to overclock with the PSU and cooler I have? Also, I might get A FX-4300 instead of the 965 would it be safe to overclock that too?

Solution
If you state a Vcore of 1.5v on an overclock of 4GHz then that will be more than sufficient,
you never use more than 1.55v on an Amd chip and almost always the required voltage is actually lower than 1.5v, but for the purposes of calculating your Psu needs, just say 1.5v
Moto
Properly cooled and running on the lowest voltage for your particular chip, theres no reason an overclocked rig won't last you ten years,
You will want a more powerful Psu to keep everything fed if you intend on overclocking longterm/seriously, I'd suggest round about 600w
and how high you can overclock depends on many things, not least of all your chips limits, one processor will go to 4GHz easily, the next won't budge from stock,
You need to tweak your own chip and figure out its sweet spot, check out the black edition clocking guide at the top of this section for some pointers,
I'd also advise putting the second fan on the 212, better cooling in the long run
Moto

sesbetr72

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2012

I won't be able to get a 600W would the 430W be safe to overclock?

If you state a Vcore of 1.5v on an overclock of 4GHz then that will be more than sufficient,
you never use more than 1.55v on an Amd chip and almost always the required voltage is actually lower than 1.5v, but for the purposes of calculating your Psu needs, just say 1.5v
Moto

Solution
Cheers man, in response to your Private message, I built your rig into that (I guessed four 120mm fans) and the required wattage for it overclocked to 4GHz on 1.5v was 397w,
the 430w you have selected will power that (assuming your chip can actually reach 4GHz) and Corsair are a decent brand so I'd proceed,
but if at all possible get a 500w,
The CX500 is a solid alternative and honestly if theres one component you don't cheap out on, its the Psu,
you may find your chip only overclocks to 3.7 or 3.6 comfortably, some chips clock better than others, and no-one but you can find out the exact limit of your actual chip
But for ballpark estimates, yes that Psu will power you a decent overclock and the cooler is a solid cooler well capable of handling the cooling duties, just go easy when you start overclocking and don't try pushing too hard too soon,
Overclocking is little steps on a long journey
Have fun man and thank you for B.a.
Moto