XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Ok so right now Im running an HP a6150e
AMD athlon 64 x2 4000+ 2.1GHz
A hitachi HDT725040vla 400gb SCSI disk Drive
a Integrated Geforce 6150se nForce 430
Atapi Lightscribe DVD

I just bought a ocz 600w PSU and a XFX HD5770 so my first question is can/should I upgrade this computer. I bought the two items for my new i5 750 build which Im paying for as I get the money. Also Im not sure If im allowed to throw a second question but to save money I want to reuse the DVD and hard drive. I am looking at this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

First, besides the new PSU & GPU, and MOBO.

1. DVD {IDE} ; you "may" have problems installing Window 7 if the driver is unavailable {seen this problem many times} ; replacement ~ $20 SATA.
2. HDD {HDT725040VLA | SATA1} ; time to replace. ~ $60-$80 ; your pick - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003459%20600003340%204026&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
3. CPU {AMD Athlon 64 / unsupported} ; "new i5 750"

So, yeah you're pretty much replacing everything to make any sense of your new rig.

Since you're already planning on an i5 750 build, I wouldn't waste time on your current PC. For the time being you can plug that 5770 in to game and all that but IMO after you get the i5 750 and mobo, just scrap the current system. Maybe sell it to your parents (I sold my last PC to my parents for around $500 including the monitor)

I don't think the IDE drive will cause issues, most mobos support it but jaquith obviously has some knowledge that it might. IMO the DVD drive should probably be a last resort replacement. That HDD will probably be ok for the time being, but it would be smart to change it once you can and maybe keep it for a backup drive only.

That Gigabyte board will be fine. You obviously can't spend a lot, so bang for your buck that'll be a good performer. I'd actually recommend getting the i5 760 over a 750 just because you gain 1 bin (ie: 133mhz at stock) and it's only a tad more expensive.

You'll also need some DDR3 RAM. IMO get 4gb of 1333mhz RAM, unless you plan to OC you might want 1600mhz CL8.

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Yah I have mapped out what I can get I already bought the CPU i5-750 for 150$ It going to take me awhile to get the parts im hoping i can get all the parts by mid November. I will replace the HDD and DVD drive after a while once if they work. Any Idea how much I could get for the comp without monitor.

^ Thanks for the vote outstanding of confidence I guess?!

Yep, the RAM will need to be replaced; I agree with 1333 or 1600. Use either Gigabyte's Certified list or RAM Mfg's online configuration tools inputting your MOBO. However, a CPU multiplier of 1 isn't worth much; 1 minute or less OC will eliminate any loss performance.

HDD have a limited lifespan ~ 5 years and I'd opt for replacing sooner than later.

Yes you can upgrade that computer with the new PSU and 5770, as the 5770 should fit. It would certainly let you actually play games since trying to do so with that onboard video can be a little painful :D.

As for the build you want to go to eventually I assume you have a PCI SCSI controller that you connect your Hard Drive to. That gigabyte board has one IDE connector for your Optical Drive and you should be able to use your SCSI controller for the Hard Drive. It's best to check online to see if your chosen board has any issues with PCI SCSI controllers but you won't really know till you try it :D. You will of course need to get a new case for the Gigabyte board since an ATX board won't fit in that micro ATX HP case.

Well... would there be any reason to keep the PC? For me, I have zero reason whatsoever to have more than 1 PC for myself at home, so it makes much more sense to have the cash back and invest it into a new PC. Maybe you want an HTPC or something, then yeah might as well spend as little as possible and keep it going while you invest in a nice gaming rig. Just depends on what you need and want.