Time Machine Backup using Internal PC Drive Via SATA Need Help

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hey guys.

Basically what I am trying to do is back up my Macbook Air using Time Machine, using an Internal HDD that is currently connected to my Custom Built Windows Tower using SATA Connections, and backing up wirelessly, leaving the HDD connected to my computer.

This is a secondary drive with nothing on it, so I figured I could use it with Time Machine, but I honestly have no idea how to do this as i want to leave the HDD in my Computer, backing up over Wi-Fi.

I was able to find an article on one of Apple's Support forums but it was pretty cryptic http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mh15139.html

A few things note:
The Drive is 100% bare and can be reformatted, partitioned, ect.
The Macbook Air's SSD is exactly 256GB
Ideally I want to keep the drive inside my system connected to SATA
I do have a home network for sharing drives and others with a 25Mbs Down, and 5Mbs Up connection (Will vary over Wi-Fi)

If anyone knows if this will work it would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to buy a Time Capsule and have a perfectly good 500GB Drive I don't want to go to waste.

mrmez

Splendid
Not sure if you can do that.
Do you still have Apple phone support? You can usually speak to someone in a minute or two.

I can backup to another HDD in another Mac (via Wifi or RJ45), they happen to be connected via a time capsule. That may be the deciding factor, or it may likely be windows.

Just a thought... If your windows is not installed on a Fat32 partition it may be impossible. OSX uses HFS file system, Windows will likely use NTFS. Without 3rd party apps, they are not compatible. Obviously the backup drive will need to be fat32 or hfs, but even then, it may need to be connected to a computer running a compatible file system.

SecretCobraz

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I don't have any talk time left and I might have to go see the genius bar.
The drive has nothing on it besides standard Fat32 Formatting and It can be reformatted at will.
Unfortunetly I don't own any other macs.