Help on my system

alskaxkrrms

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,
I have decided to build my own system, but after calculating the budget and the time, I have decided to just buy a built system, and postpone my own building...so.. I have searched through internet for the similar system which I was going to build, I looked companies such as Ibuypower or cyberpower and passed (their ratings and reviews were astonishing..) so I ended up with Dell..specifically Alienware aurora vs studios XPS 8100 one is for hardcore gaming and the other for little bit of everything.

Alienware aurora
Intel I7 920
Geforce GTX 260 1.8 GB
Memory 9 GB
Studios xps 8100
Intel I7 860
ATI HD 5770 1 GB
Memory 8GB

I am not hardcore gamer...i play wow....and maybe Diablo 3 when it comes out before i go back to school.. the price difference is about $500...and for alienware i have to wait a month and for Studios i can just get it right now...

My concern is that I kind of want to get the Studios 8100 but I was amaing for system which will last for about 6~8 years without major upgrade or problem....I also wanted alienware Aurora...for it is definite that this system has the exact standard that i was looking for... but the time and the money...money isnt big problem...but time....I dont want to wait a month....(my sis took my system i got no PC right now)

I CANT MAKE A DECISION OMG...
DRVING ME NUTS... so my concern is that if get the 8100 will I be happy for 6~8 years will i be able to do the things without major problem? or should I just put more time and money on definite system

Well, both of those aren't a great idea. With a prebuilt, you are going to get crappy parts (namely the board, RAM and PSU) and not have the ability to upgrade (propreitary parts).

You would be much better off building your own. It will take the same amount of time to ship, and only 2-3 hours to install everything. It will likely be $600-1000 cheaper, depending on what you need.

Also, there isn't a PC on earth that will make someone happy for 6-8 years. It just doesn't happen.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
The two builds are comparable, certainly not worth the extra 500 bucks for the former.

As far as a life of 6-8 years? Does any technology last 6-8 years? I think you'd be hard pressed to build a pc thats going to be a powerhouse in that amount of time. Its just so far off.