When is power on and power off?

Have new MOBO from MSI that has an illuminated "Power switch" on the board itself.
Their manual states "This button will light after you power-on the system,and the light will turn off when you power-off the system"
The problem is this "illumination" NEVER turns off, untill you turn-off or disconect the AC from the power supply unit.
In computereese is "power-on" when AC power is applied at the PSU?
Is "power-on" when current reaches the switch and the switch is opened?
I would like a consensus here as to power-on and power off so I can argue with my vendor about the condition of the NEW MOBO.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about when power power
  1. I would read that as "power is applied to the system" and "power is not applied to the system".
  2. coldsleep said:
    I would read that as "power is applied to the system" and "power is not applied to the system".

But WHERE is "power applied"? At the switch or PSU?
  3. oldgnube said:
    But WHERE is "power applied"? At the switch or PSU?

Sorry, that was more computerese. :)

Computerese:
    Power applied = computer/PSU plugged into the wall, motherboard has power connections, actual state of the OS doesn't matter
    Power not applied = computer/PSU not plugged into the wall, motherboard state doesn't matter, but probably connected properly
    Powered up/on = everything plugged in and you pressed the power button, an OS is running or is being loaded
    Powered down/off = everything plugged in and you shut the computer down via the OS or holding down the power button

Standard usage (doesn't really take plugged into the wall into consideration):
    Powered up/on = you pressed the button/switch to turn on the computer
    Powered down/off = you shut down the computer through the OS or by holding down the power switch

I suspect that they are using the standard phrasing to mean the more specific applied/not applied.
  4. Don't forget the PSU has to be on too to get to power applied.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Light Power Switch Power Systems