Sign in with
Your question

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2012 6:59:30 AM

Hi. Okay, data:

motherboard died. installed new motherboard, told it to boot HD, get error:

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

loaded bios defaults; same. booted UBCD4Win and I can see everything on the hard drive, all the files are in tact. Ran FIX_HDC (supposed to replace hdc drivers); no go.

booted win xp cd, ran fixmbr and fixboot, no go.

did a raw copy to a known working 74gb; put it into a DIFFERENT computer, tried to boot, get the same error.

YARGHH!!!! pleeeze help? My instinct is telling me it's the MBR... I'm just not familiar enough with it to diagnose an MBR.

<3 for helps!
a c 1024 V Motherboard
a c 260 G Storage
February 24, 2012 7:13:34 AM

Repair install of windows would fix system files. Boot from CD select install when previous windows install detected an option will be given to repair!
February 24, 2012 8:19:10 AM

Ahhhhhhh, i was so excited, forgot that repair option left all installed apps intact.

however, alas, no bueno. still get the same error after running repair from an XP sp3 original cd.
Related resources
February 24, 2012 7:02:59 PM

anyone else have suggestions? I wish it created an error log somewhere or there was some way to diagnose why this happens..
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
February 24, 2012 7:20:46 PM

Hi,
If mobo died, It might of damaged HD if everything else didn't work.

Plug the Hd in another computer and download hard drive sentinel pro trial and see what it says about the HD.

If repair install still doesn't work you might need to make a full install.
February 24, 2012 9:09:22 PM

so HD sentinel 4.00 PRO says 100% performance and 100% health. the status is PERFECT (in caps)..
March 1, 2012 1:41:05 AM

Did you get a solution ?

I too get that message, and a Repair Install (many attempts) does not fix it
March 8, 2012 7:52:28 AM

negative, reinstalled windows :( 
!