Sign in with
Your question

Netbook install problems

Last response: in Windows 7
October 18, 2011 10:43:00 PM

Alright, so, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S11 (I think, it's a modified one I got from school)
It's got a Celeron processor, 2GB of RAM, a 160GB WD HDD, and the integrated Intel graphics.
Anyway, I've gotten admin rights on it, and I got an extra 2GB of RAM, and now I want to install 64-bit Windows 7 to support that full amount of ram. (They have 32-bit enterprise).

The problem is, the BIOS is locked. With a password.
And they've got everything but the SATA port for the main HDD blocked.
So, I took out the HDD and put it into my desktop, I was unsure if it'd work, turns out it didn't.
So, I installed Windows 7 to the HDD using my desktop, and (I'm assuming it's because it installed the drivers and stuff for my AMD Phenom II computer.) it didn't work when I put it back in my netbook.

It just had a flashing underscore, and it won't boot.
So, how else can I install 64bit Windows?

Thanks for your help :) 
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2011 3:40:18 PM

Hi im_caius, your right, you cannot install on another hardware setup and expect to boot when you swap the hardware configuration.

Personally, i think your buggered; you will need to get the bios password from school, or take it in and let them remove password for you ( more likely, as they may still be using that password to lock current laptops).

Contact them and see what they say ( if you can! )

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2011 3:49:20 PM

do you mean you bought it from the school or they gave it to you to use?

if they sold it to you then they should provide the password

if it theirs and you are only meant to be using it for school work then no one here should help you remove the password

and if its still their property i wouldnt like to be in your shoes when they find out what you have been up to with it
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2011 10:58:46 AM

Alright, I worked it out my self, I thought I'd tell you all what I did. :) 
I pretty much partitioned the HDD into two, 1 10GB, and 1 141GB (the remaining).
Then, I copied the contents from the .iso of Windows 7 x64 onto the smaller partition and made it bootable.
Then, when I put it back into the laptop, it booted and I installed windows to the big partition. Ta-da. :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2011 2:37:12 PM

Hi im_caius, nice :-)
Glad you got sorted.
m
l
!