ATi 650 pci-e tuner card with full cable channels?

freestyledork

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'm looking to get the ATi 650 pci-e tuner card. From what I read you can use it for analog and HD(via clearQAM).

Now my question is can I use it to get premium cable channels... HBO and such. Ive seen people ask this question trying to get it without a top set box. I have a top set box for comcast. Its set up in my basement to my little theatre. The box come with a variety of connections in the back of the box.. Right now I have the cable in then I'm using a HDMI to connect the box to the receiver. My question is if use the cable out of the top set box to my tuner will the cable box have to be on the same channel as the tuner?

If anyone has tried this please relay your findings or if anyone has any information and could point me in the right way your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Wolfshadw

Titan
Placing a set top box into your configuration essentially turns your TV Tuner card into a video capture card. The tuning functionality is handled by your set top box. For now, this is the only way to get premium channels to your computer.

In the next month or so, Ceton Corp is supposed to release their multi-stream tuner cards will only require a cablecard from Comcast. With that, you should be able to take out the set top box and get all the channels you subscribe to.

-Wolf sends

leon2006

Distinguished
This is what i use...Hauppage 2250 media center package. It comes with accessories to control your cable box. It has tiny transmitter to control your cable box to make it in-sync with the HDTVTuner. Windows Media center or Hauppage can automatically record shows directly from cable box w/o user intervention.

The PC HDTV tuner can select the channel on the cable box. You can do it through the hauppage remote control or through media center when you program the PCHDTV to record shows from your cable box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116036

ATI 650pcie is not a good HDTV tuner. Its prone to hardware failure. The cable input always fail. ATI replaced my HDTV ATI 650pcie 3 times. I parked that tuner. ATI 650PCIE don't work well with windows media center.

ruthyc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
hi, i also have the hauppauge 2250 but i do not have the media center package (b/c i'm a nincompoop.) how do i connect my cable box to my tuner card? do i need a cable splitter? an s-video cable? the more specific you can be, the better. i would really appreciate any help anyone could offer. thank you.