Sign in with
Your question

Xps410 replace mobo keep CPU

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2010 9:01:16 PM

I am working on upgrading my xps 410 (mostly because i cant overclock at all and its getting irritating) I have decided that the best course of action would be to change the case altogether, get a new Motherboard, and change the Power supply aswell. I want to keep the hard drive, the CPU, the RAM, and the Graphics card (the ram and graphisc card are after market, i already changed those). I realize that Dell has proprietary parts, but im wondering if the CPU itself is also proprietary, or if i can just switch out the cpu and put it into a non dell mobo and have it work ok. I am also hoping this will eliminate the overclocking issue since the new motherboard has overclocking features. ( believe the OC block is on the dell mobo and not the CPU). Anybody have any thoughts on this or any experience?
April 24, 2010 9:04:20 PM

The cpu at the moment is an e6600, i do plan on replacing this, but for the moment i will keep it, and assuming the overclock block will be lifted, I will overclock the cpu to maybe a 3.0 for the time being, in a couple months when i get some more cash i will get an e8400 and i will officially be rid of all dell parts. (assuming this whole idea of the dell cpu working on the non dell mobo actually works)
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:04:25 PM

Yea, you can do it.
What CPU is it?
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 9:14:21 PM

is your operating system the Dell OEM version of windows? I would check with Delluser1, it may not like a new motherboard. I know the Dell consumer PC tended not to like motherboard changes while keeping the same HDD & OS. The XPS where made to be upgraded so hopefully that will be an easier process.
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:19:12 PM

No, it is defintely not the same OS as it shipped with, I am running my own windows 7 installation, so i wont have any problems there, my main concern is just the CPU working with a new board.
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:24:07 PM

If you purchase a s775 mobo, (like a P45) the CPU will work just fine
and be overclockable.
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:33:37 PM

Thank you all, ive found a nice GB board with OC features that supports up to 1333 FSB for around 60 bucks, and a new mid ATX case and a 550 W PSU for another 100 bucks....so for 160 bucks or so im going to de-dellify my dell...wish me luck
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2010 10:24:10 PM

sdwinder said:
No, it is defintely not the same OS as it shipped with, I am running my own windows 7 installation, so i wont have any problems there, my main concern is just the CPU working with a new board.

you will have no issues then
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 25, 2010 1:07:55 AM

sdwinder said:
im going to de-dellify my dell...

Never heard it put like that.
It was over 3 years ago that I de-dellified my XPS 410.
I was actually able to do some overclocking on it using Clockgen software, it just wasn't enough.
Good luck with your new build :) 
m
l
!