Sign in with
Your question

Low cost development/media server build.

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2010 6:05:07 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: No rush. My current server is working though I don't trust it.

BUDGET RANGE: As cheap as possible, definately under a grand. $600-700 Sounds about right.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Server(Apache, Coldfusion 8/9, MSSQL 2005), media server/data backup(raid)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:Already have case and power supply.

This is the power supply:
Nexus VALUE 430 430W Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

This is the case(Already has gaming rig in it):
Ascension - Duality (Mirror Black Powder Coat) - Original Top

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, whatever.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Leaning towards AMD for the ship, just because My gaming rig is Intel. I want to share the love.

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I will be connecting through remote desktop, but may occasionally need to directly connect. If so, 1920x1200. Would prefer the motherboard has integrated video to eliminate noise(fan) and power consumption. Obviously, no need for 3d here.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I've been having problems with my old system that I have relegated to server status. Currently running a P4 3.0 with 4 gigs ram, two 75 gig ide drives in raid one through a cheap raid card.

Server was dropping remote desktop connections and the mapped drives on it were disconnecting, then when I tried to switch the monitor over to it, the monitor would loop of and on. Turned out the video card was bad(I THINK) and have since replaced it. Also just lost one of the drives in the second raid 1 data array, so I don't trust the drives anymore. They are like 6 years old.

Looking at either the terabyte spinpoint f3s for $90 apeice times three for raid 5, but also considering the Western Digital RE3 terabytes for $160 a piece. Not sure if the more expensive drives are worth it.

Also considering the intel 40 gig ssd for boot, but it would be wasted money since I would restart the machine only occasionally. Just would be fun to have.

Looked at the server chips but don't think I really need them. Quad core would be nice, but a dual core with hyperthreading would probably be enough.

Would like the system to be as quiet as possible.

How much ram? 4 gigs dual channel min, but maybe eight would be worth it?

It's just me hitting the box while I work on web sites and stuff, so we don't need a super fast machine. I just want something nice that will last a long time and be reliable. Data integrity is most important.
February 16, 2010 6:29:33 PM

I would go with something like this for the CPU and motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $220.98 (AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz + Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H combo)

I'm not so sure you would benefit from more than 4GB of RAM. I would start off with 4GB and see how it goes. You can always add more later assuming you will be using a 64-bit OS.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK - Retail $106.99
m
l
February 16, 2010 6:50:21 PM

The board in the combo doesn't support raid 5. I'll look for one that does.
m
l
!