Sign in with
Your question

Was replacing heat sink and CPU came out.

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2010 9:12:54 PM

Hey guys, my computer was having overheating issues so i got a new CPU heat sink/fan but when i took the old heat sink unit off the CPU came out with it and was stuck to the underside of it (it was stuck to the heat conducting paste stuff). The thing on the motherboard where the CPU goes into was still in the locked position though.

So I opened it, put the CPU back in, closed it, put the old heat sink and fan back on but the computer wont start. When I turn it on the fans turn on for a second and then go off and the power light just blinks quickly. My question is, do you think it's the CPU or the CPU connector on the motherboard that is broken? I don't want to buy another CPU just to find out that it's the motherboard that i needed to replace.

The CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and the motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI. Unfortunately I don't have another AMD CPU to try out, but I'm going to see if I can get one from someone. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I tried just taking out the CPU and turning the computer on, and then it stayed on, fans on, power light stayed green, and the CD rom light blinked too, and it just stayed like that until I turned it off. When I put the CPU back in then it did the same thing as before, turned on for a second and then off. That makes me think that it's the processor that's broken and not the motherboard...what do you guys think?
April 24, 2010 9:35:12 PM

The top of the CPU is silver, so i guess it has a heat spreader.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2010 9:38:34 PM

I suspect that if you take a close look at the cpu, you will find damage to it. I cant imagine yanking the cpu out with the lock in place and not yanking out a couple of pins. Thats my guess.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2010 9:39:08 PM

Quote:
Does you CPU have a silver heatspreader or does the die itslef exposed form tne substraight?

All X2 chips have a heat spreader. Exposed dies ended with socket A. His motherboard apears to be socket 939.
m
l
April 24, 2010 9:56:54 PM

like falcon said check the pins
m
l
April 24, 2010 10:03:09 PM

I looked closely and I can't see any damage, but I'm pretty sure at this point that somehow or other it's broken. There are some cheap AMD 939 processors for like $50 so I'll buy one and try it out and if it doesn't work I'll return it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2010 10:21:47 PM

If your looking on ebay, odds are you wont be able to return it.
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:15:41 AM

More than likely what is happening when your computer freezes on you upon boot up is the POST is finding the CPU is bad and halting. At least that is what I believe is happening.

For future reference when dealing with Thermal Interface Material that stuck to the CPU. If you feel that you cannot separate the HSF from the CPU without yanking it out the socket. You have one of two options. 1) Unlock the CPU from the Socket and pull out the HSF & CPU group. Then use a Razor blade between the two to pry them apart. 2) Use the Razor blade while the CPU is still in the Mobo. After the CPU has been separated from the HSF use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off the Thermal Interface Material. Not a big deal. I've had to do many times with older CPUs.

As for a solution to your problem since you cannot validate whether your Mobo or CPU is broken; however, I imagine both are damaged. Buy a nice budget AM3 board and a new AMD Athlon II X2 CPU call it a day. You could hunt Ebay for components, but really just make it easier for yourself by buying a new CPU and board.

-APZX
m
l
April 25, 2010 3:35:31 AM

yabapmatt said:
Hey guys, my computer was having overheating issues so i got a new CPU heat sink/fan but when i took the old heat sink unit off the CPU came out with it and was stuck to the underside of it (it was stuck to the heat conducting paste stuff). The thing on the motherboard where the CPU goes into was still in the locked position though.

Same thing happened to me! I had to take off the cpu using a knife because it was melted onto the heatsink :p  ! I even broke one of the pins.. -acutally bended it a little- and still working I was lucky I think . Check out for the pins and see no one is missing!
m
l
April 29, 2010 11:45:28 PM

So I bought an AMD Athlon 64 3200 on ebay for $15, put it in and now it works great! I was really lucky I didn't have to buy a new motherboard.
m
l
!