MSI 790 board & NIC not gripping RJ45

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I currently have a 790GX-G65 mobo, and from the moment I bought it the NIC will not hold the RJ45 head. Once the patch cable is plugged in to it, I can barely pull on it and it will pop right out. Different cables have been tried to make sure. I should have taken it back to Fry's, but since that was the only issue I didn't bother. Since then I've had the HDMI go out, as well as problems with RAM bank 0. I have a RMA with MSI, but considering this is my wife's main system for her school work, I can't have it down for 2 weeks at this time. So, my question is, after all this rambling, is there a pin or something inside the NIC port that I can lightly bend to get it to hold the cable's RJ45 head? I don't want to mess around with it too much, considering I will probably return it once my wife finishes her current semester. Thanks for any info!

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Could try something like that. Really only an annoyance, since I have to double-check that the cable is still firmly plugged in whenever I pull the machine out to open it up, which has been pretty often recently.