Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with fan placement

Last response: in Overclocking
November 24, 2012 9:24:56 PM

I just ordered two of these fans a couple days ago http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
i was originally going to put both of them in the front of my case and move the one stock that was there to the side panel but then i started thinking would the stock fan be blowing too much air in to the side and are two fans in he front too much?

my case is the coolermaster haf 912 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would it be better if i put one cougar in the front and one in the back then move to sock fans that where there to the top of the case?
Also I don't have any air filters for my case except the one that it came with one the front of the case so what are some good air filter i can buy or things that i can use as air filters until i buy some?

More about : fan placement

Best solution

November 24, 2012 10:02:58 PM

"one cougar in the front and one in the back then move to sock fans that where there to the top of the case:
That would be your best bet.

You can find fan filters on newegg also. Old pantyhose can be cut and tied to fan housing to serve as filters.
November 26, 2012 6:41:04 PM

you ALWAYS want to have more exhaust than intake faqns. intake fans in the front, and exhaust in the srear, or possibly, side or top. you want your exaust fans placed as close to the cpu and gfx card as possible, to push that hot air out of the case.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 11:35:40 PM

Best answer selected by robotsdidyourmom.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:40:58 PM

cmichael138 said:
"one cougar in the front and one in the back then move to sock fans that where there to the top of the case:
That would be your best bet.

You can find fan filters on newegg also. Old pantyhose can be cut and tied to fan housing to serve as filters.

Thank you for the reply and sorry about the long response time, just curious on why is it better to have the two fans on the top over one on the side and two in the front?
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:51:58 AM

I think deepdystopia stated it well regarding intake and exhaust. The cases are usually set up for optimal air flow and installing too many fans can disrupt that.

Sorry....I misread your statement about top fan placement ( I think you said "to" instead of "two". I don't think 2 top fans would make any additional help. If your GPU is situated near the side vent, an exhaust fan would work there.

Good luck.
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:35:21 AM

cmichael138 said:
I think deepdystopia stated it well regarding intake and exhaust. The cases are usually set up for optimal air flow and installing too many fans can disrupt that.

Sorry....I misread your statement about top fan placement ( I think you said "to" instead of "two". I don't think 2 top fans would make any additional help. If your GPU is situated near the side vent, an exhaust fan would work there.

Good luck.

ha,my bad what i meant was
Front:Cougar 120mm (intake)
Back:Cougar 120mm (exhaust)
Top:2 x 120mm stock fans (exhaust)

I thought if I put a exhaust fan on the side it would suck out the cold air and i am sacred that if i put an intake on the side and the fan would blow to hard on to my GPU,MOBO,and CPU heat sink(stock Intel heat sink) and mess with their fans.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:21:02 PM

Try one front intake, one back exhaust and one top exhaust and check your temps. I think you'll find that's suffivient. If not, you can try more.
m
l
!