Petition for a fully localized german version.

Sure, you couldn't care less if english is your native language. But Thief
1 and 2 had great localization with very good voice acting. And _that_
added a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

But now Eidos decides to ignore more than 100 Million german speaking
people by not localizing the game. Many gamer allready stated not to by the
game because of that (especially when it's so much story driven like the
Thief series).

Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html

--
Wenn Du sachlich argumentierst, hast Du im Regelfall weder wiederholte
Ausrufezeichen noch das Schreiben in Großbuchstaben nötig.

    Martin Seibert wrote:
    > Sure, you couldn't care less if english is your native language. But Thief
    > 1 and 2 had great localization with very good voice acting. And _that_
    > added a lot to the atmosphere of the game.
    >
    > But now Eidos decides to ignore more than 100 Million german speaking
    > people by not localizing the game. Many gamer allready stated not to by the
    > game because of that (especially when it's so much story driven like the
    > Thief series).
    >
    > Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    >
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html

    Whoa, you mean T1/T2 had a version with all the voice acting done in
    German?!

    That's awesome! Too bad I don't speak German. I would almost pay to
    play it that way - I know the gist of the missions, so it's not like I'd
    be totally lost.

    Objekt
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> schrieb:

    [..]
    > > Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    > >
    > > http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html
    > >
    > Whoa, you mean T1/T2 had a version with all the voice acting done in
    > German?!

    Yes. Thief 1 and 2 was fully localized with professional speakers which
    is often NOT the case for other localized games (i.e. bad voice acting,
    bad translation, etc. - you get the point). But Eidos did a GREAT job
    with T1/2. The voice of Garret fits perfectly into the dark atmosphere.

    And knowing and loving T1 and 2 we are no more than pissed off and feel
    ripped off because we will only get text translation (and from what
    I've heard, it's a bad translation, too). And it takes a lot away from
    the atmosphere if you have a) to READ translation instead of only listening
    and b) even for those of us who knows english a little (like me :P), it's
    for sure a p. in the a. if we don't understand whispered or mumbled (sp?)
    words. Well, I guess you know what I mean.

    Seems Eidos has not enough money to do a proper localisation. And hearing
    rumours about closing Ionstorm I'm wondering how long Eidos will stay in
    business.

    Anway, any additional vote might help us. And like I said, you 'english
    guys' couldn't care less, but aren't we one big family of thief fans? ;-)

    > That's awesome! Too bad I don't speak German. I would almost pay to
    > play it that way - I know the gist of the missions, so it's not like I'd
    > be totally lost.

    Well, I don't get the point why you would want to do that, but hey, more
    power to you if you'll give it a try. *g*

    Just one thing I might add: I'm not sure if you foreign speakers would like
    the same voices (in this case, the german voice of Garret) like we do,
    because we are 'aligned' to like a particular voice type which may differ
    to what you like. No matter if the voice is female or male.

    I heard a few times some spanish voice actors, and I can say: they sound
    more or less all the same to me and it also sounded pretty boring from the
    sound of their voices. That alone made the movie a pretty boring experience. But on the other hand, spanish gals'n'guys might like
    it.

    So I'm not sure if YOU would like Garrets voice as much as WE like it. ;-)

    --
    Muphy's Naturgesetze:
    10.) Je einfacher eine Änderung zu sein scheint, um so größere

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:29:20 +0200, "Martin Seibert" <realsyntech@gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >Sure, you couldn't care less if english is your native language. But Thief
    >1 and 2 had great localization with very good voice acting. And _that_
    >added a lot to the atmosphere of the game.
    >
    >But now Eidos decides to ignore more than 100 Million german speaking
    >people by not localizing the game. Many gamer allready stated not to by the
    >game because of that (especially when it's so much story driven like the
    >Thief series).
    >
    >Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    >
    >http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html

    *signed*

    Well, I wonder if the German fans can do their own localization? The file
    format for T1 and T2 is obviously different but maybe the Deus Ex 2
    hackers and modding community have figured out the formats that T3 uses?

    A group of English Gothic fans recently completed their own translation of
    Die Nacht des Raben because it seemed like Atari was not going to release
    it. So if Eidos doesn't come through with a German version perhaps all
    hope isn't lost?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Martin Seibert" <realsyntech@gmx.at> wrote in message
    > Sure, you couldn't care less if english is your native language. But Thief
    > 1 and 2 had great localization with very good voice acting. And _that_
    > added a lot to the atmosphere of the game.
    >
    > But now Eidos decides to ignore more than 100 Million german speaking
    > people by not localizing the game. Many gamer allready stated not to by
    the
    > game because of that (especially when it's so much story driven like the
    > Thief series).
    >
    > Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    >
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html
    >
    > --
    > Wenn Du sachlich argumentierst, hast Du im Regelfall weder wiederholte
    > Ausrufezeichen noch das Schreiben in Großbuchstaben nötig.
    > (Matthias Esken in de.soc.netzkultur)

    Not to be a party pooper... but wouldn't it make the game more expensive to
    localize? It's not like localizing a program, as there's more voice than
    text.... and, most Germans, like all us other Europeans, speak fairly well
    English?

    I come from a nation with only 4 million people, and wouldn't dream of
    expecting any game to be translated into my native tounge, simply because I
    realize it would cost too much money :) It might pay off for game developers
    to translate a game to the most extensively used languages like German,
    Spanish. French and Italian though - and Russian for that matter - but
    somehow I sense it will cost more than what they get back if they did...

    I do however symphatize with the feeling fo not being able to get the same
    enjoyment out of a not localized version of Thief, especially now that Thief
    DP and 2 *was* translated, and I also know that you have a huge fan
    community in Germany - where some of the very best fan missions come from!

    But still... I can't help but thinking that there will be less and less of
    translated versions of any game, especially when English is getting so
    widely used by the European population.

    I wish you all the best in getting a translated version though!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1671

    Notibly: UK/Europe:
    Differences between US and Euro versions: No game play differences.
    Localized text for German, French and Italian. No foreign voice
    recording--all voicework is in English. Euro versions default to "subtitles
    on."

    I wrote a nice long post as to why you shouldn't bother with a petition for
    German voice recording but I'll spare you. In summation, the more petitions
    that exist, the weaker the voice of the community. Is Eidos likely to grant
    us 1 wish for a toolset or 50 wishes for minor tweaks? Simple as that.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:13:04 -0400, "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net>
    wrote:

    >http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1671
    >
    >Notibly: UK/Europe:
    >Differences between US and Euro versions: No game play differences.
    >Localized text for German, French and Italian. No foreign voice
    >recording--all voicework is in English. Euro versions default to "subtitles
    >on."
    >
    >I wrote a nice long post as to why you shouldn't bother with a petition for
    >German voice recording but I'll spare you. In summation, the more petitions
    >that exist, the weaker the voice of the community. Is Eidos likely to grant
    >us 1 wish for a toolset or 50 wishes for minor tweaks? Simple as that.

    I think with the dismissal of the IonStorm staff, they won't be granting
    anything, but releasing the toolset is a completely different issue and
    doesn't require paying voice actors or anything major like that.

    Anyhow, I have a feeling that since they just used someone else's game
    engine that they don't have the rights to release the toolset.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > I think with the dismissal of the IonStorm staff, they won't be granting
    > anything, but releasing the toolset is a completely different issue and
    > doesn't require paying voice actors or anything major like that.

    True enough, but even something as minor as a patch requires time, money and
    effort. I think it's better spent making the game better, not catering to a
    minority of it's fanbase.

    > Anyhow, I have a feeling that since they just used someone else's game
    > engine that they don't have the rights to release the toolset.

    I don't see how in the world you came up with that conclusion. Several of
    the IS staff have posted in forums asking the fans to send the word out to
    Eidos to show them there's an interest for a toolset. Not exactly the
    actions of someone bound by contracts to not release a toolset. Besides, an
    engine has little to nothing to do with the game's actual content, which is
    what the toolset allows you to modify. I've never seen a toolset that
    allows you to modify the actual engine.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> schrieb:

    > Not to be a party pooper... but wouldn't it make the game more expensive
    > to localize? It's not like localizing a program, as there's more voice
    > than text.... and, most Germans, like all us other Europeans, speak
    > fairly well English?

    But fairly well is not enough, especially if words are _spoken_. And sure,
    it costs quite some money, but hey, we usually pay between 45-50 Euros
    per game. And we also have to pay that for Thief 3, translated or not.

    That's why many people say, they wait until the game drops in price
    because the don't want to pay full money for a game that is not fully
    translated. And I don't think it's hard to understand that if I buy a
    game I also want to understand it. I mean, what's the point of spending
    money on something you can't get everything out of it?

    Well, I'm _not_ german but I speak german. And german is (I guess) the
    most comman language used in europe based on population. So there IS a
    marked share that definately makes a difference.

    And by the way, I don't think Eidos will sell many copies in France. It
    can be that they say, "if it's not in french, it's not in our country".

    Oh well, we will see how things go on.

    > But still... I can't help but thinking that there will be less and less
    > of translated versions of any game, especially when English is getting so
    > widely used by the European population.

    Well, it makes a big difference (for non native english speakers) to
    - read english
    - listen to english
    - listen to whispered english
    - listen to some people speaking english at the same time

    and

    - understand phrases
    - understand metaphers
    - understand slang
    - understand things you've never heard before

    See, the point is that I think many of us might understand the basic story
    behind Thief 3, but the point is to understand everything and because of
    that, to be able to dive into the story. That is impossible if you have to
    constantly think "what did he/she say?". It just takes away way too much
    from the atmosphere if you don't understand _everything_.

    > I wish you all the best in getting a translated version though!

    Thank you. BTW, did you sign the petition? *g*

    --
    Muphy's Naturgesetze:
    10.) Je einfacher eine Änderung zu sein scheint, um so größere
    Kreise zieht sie und um so mehr Pläne müssen neu erstellt werden.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.thief-thecircle.com/shownews.asp?id=1671
    >
    > Notibly: UK/Europe:
    > Differences between US and Euro versions: No game play differences.
    > Localized text for German, French and Italian. No foreign voice
    > recording--all voicework is in English. Euro versions default to
    "subtitles
    > on."
    >
    > I wrote a nice long post as to why you shouldn't bother with a petition
    for
    > German voice recording but I'll spare you. In summation, the more
    petitions
    > that exist, the weaker the voice of the community. Is Eidos likely to
    grant
    > us 1 wish for a toolset or 50 wishes for minor tweaks? Simple as that.

    I have to agree... the editor is much more important...
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> schrieb:

    [..]
    > >Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    > >
    > >http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html
    >
    > *signed*

    Thanks. ;-)

    And now, it is not _my_ petition. I only thought it might help to 'spread
    the word' *g*

    > Well, I wonder if the German fans can do their own localization? The
    > file format for T1 and T2 is obviously different but maybe the Deus Ex 2
    > hackers and modding community have figured out the formats that T3 uses?

    The point is not written text. The main issue is the missing spoken word.
    Written text can be read without hassle (and with a dictionary beside the
    keyboard). Following a conversation is much more difficult.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > > Well, I wonder if the German fans can do their own localization? The
    > > file format for T1 and T2 is obviously different but maybe the Deus Ex 2
    > > hackers and modding community have figured out the formats that T3 uses?
    >
    > The point is not written text. The main issue is the missing spoken word.
    > Written text can be read without hassle (and with a dictionary beside the
    > keyboard). Following a conversation is much more difficult.

    It appears the European version will have the option of German Subtitles.
    Short of paying a bunch of voice actors to read them for the German fans out
    there, I don't really understand the point of this petition.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    <realsyntech@gmx.at> wrote:

    >Sure, you couldn't care less if english is your native language. But Thief
    >1 and 2 had great localization with very good voice acting. And _that_
    >added a lot to the atmosphere of the game.
    >
    >But now Eidos decides to ignore more than 100 Million german speaking
    >people by not localizing the game. Many gamer allready stated not to by the
    >game because of that (especially when it's so much story driven like the
    >Thief series).
    >
    >Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    >
    >http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html

    Excuse me for the upcoming rant,
    [rant]
    ...but what planet are you from? Do you really think there's even a
    snowball's chance in hell that they're gonna *double up* the voice
    acting on a game THAT'S ALREADY BEEN RELEASED, for a market
    demographic that by and large already know English fluently enough to
    fully comprehend any English based computer game ever, in the same
    time opening a can of worms of other frivolous petitions from all the
    other countries who'd prefer playing the game in their native
    language?! I mean, were you people born yesterday?!

    The *only* potential impact upon the Thief community by this petition
    is that Eidos loses any interest (pending of course that they have any
    to begin with) whatsoever in catering to it. Every computer game
    studio and its uncle Bob knows that gamers by and large are a bunch of
    whining knowitall ingrates whom you really can't fully satisfy. It's
    the nature of the beast. Even considering the whining and crying we've
    seen after the release of DX2, the Thief community is probably among
    the most loyal of gaming communites ever. I think what needs to be
    done for Eidos to release the T3 editor, is to make them understand
    that we're a better long term investments than the average bunch of
    gamers. This petition's only potential is to cause the exact opposite
    effect, when the Eidos suits realize that there are many of us who
    actually petitions for a doubling of the voice acting content AFTER
    THE GAME HAS BEEN RELEASED!
    The only thing you can accomplish is to make Eidos systematically
    disregard petitions, period.
    [/rant]

    What's up Chuck?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "CB Hamlyn" <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> schrieb:

    > > The point is not written text. The main issue is the missing spoken
    > > word.
    > > Written text can be read without hassle (and with a dictionary beside
    > > the keyboard). Following a conversation is much more difficult.
    > >
    > It appears the European version will have the option of German Subtitles.

    Yeah, reading subtitles... ever watched a movie in foreign language with
    subtitles on? How much of the time did you acutally watch the movie, and
    how long did you read text? Maybe you get the point now.

    > Short of paying a bunch of voice actors to read them for the German fans
    > out there, I don't really understand the point of this petition.

    Well, in case that EVERY SINGLE SPOKEN WORD is displayed as text on the
    screen (and it is displayed long enough so that non-english speakers have
    time to read it) than it's still an issue, but a smaller one. But I doubt
    that _that_ is the case.

    Anyway, I knew it's kinda 'unwise' to post that petition here since (I
    guess) most of a.g.t-d-p readers only speak english and therefor don't
    know what the issue is.

    Don't worry, if you don't understand it, simply don't vote. Couldn't be
    easier...

    --
    Eine falsch abgetrennte Sig kann gar nicht falsch abgetrennt sein,
    weil, wenn sie falsch abgetrennt ist, ist sie keine Sig mehr, und

    "Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spamblock.com> schrieb:

    > >Please 'help' us by signing the petition at:
    > >
    > >http://www.petitiononline.com/dsfordv/petition.html
    >

    > Excuse me for the upcoming rant,
    [silly rant snipped]

    Excuse me, but if english is your native language I understand why you
    don't (want to?) understand us.

    If not, be happy that your second/third/whatsoever language english is, is
    good enough to understand the full glory of the spoken and written words
    in T3. But don't judge other people on your knowledge.

    By the way, we are talking about more than 100 Million (Billion for US)
    people where german is their native language. The majority in Europe I
    guess.

    AND: there WILL be a decrease in sales for Eidos because that. Sure, it's
    Eidos problem not ours if we have a problem with english story driven
    games. I think that Eidos will at the end lose more money than they saved
    with not adding localized versions. But I'm sure, the clever heads in
    Eidos' manager offices know that. If not, they will get their lesson.

    Anyway, don't shoot the messenger. I'm only the messenger, coz is _NOT MY_
    (personal) petition.

    --
    Eine falsch abgetrennte Sig kann gar nicht falsch abgetrennt sein,
    weil, wenn sie falsch abgetrennt ist, ist sie keine Sig mehr, und
    kann somit gar nicht falsch abgetrennt sein.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:52:04 +0200, "Martin Seibert" <realsyntech@gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >Yeah, reading subtitles... ever watched a movie in foreign language with
    >subtitles on? How much of the time did you acutally watch the movie, and
    >how long did you read text? Maybe you get the point now.

    That's the problem with subtitles. They should be right in the middle of
    the screen so you don't have to move your eyes down to read them!!! ;)

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > By the way, we are talking about more than 100 Million (Billion for US)
    > people where german is their native language. The majority in Europe I
    > guess.

    For crying out loud stop using that number. Take your 100 Million and
    filter out those that:
    1) Do not Speak/Understand English at all.
    2) Cannot read their native langauage subtitles or have some hang up to
    reading subtitles.
    3) Are gamers.
    4) Are gamers interested in Thief.

    What's that leave you? 100 maybe? Tops? If Eidos stood to lose
    approximately 3 Billion USD in sales from the 100 Million you seem to be
    claiming will buy this game, I think they'd jump at a German voiced
    version... But that's just not the case. So if you're gonna start pulling
    numbers out of your ass, try an accurate statement like:

    "There's at least 50 gamers that won't buy your stupid Thief 3 game cause
    they don't understand English and can't read German!"

    > AND: there WILL be a decrease in sales for Eidos because that. Sure, it's
    > Eidos problem not ours if we have a problem with english story driven
    > games. I think that Eidos will at the end lose more money than they saved
    > with not adding localized versions. But I'm sure, the clever heads in
    > Eidos' manager offices know that. If not, they will get their lesson.

    There are so many angles to sales, I'm sorry to report that your cause is
    not the monumental sales hit you think Eidos is going to get from this.
    You're (at this point) just trying to use scary examples to shock people
    into believeing you're correct. So far it's not working, at least on me.

    > Anyway, don't shoot the messenger. I'm only the messenger, coz is _NOT MY_
    > (personal) petition.

    In that case, here's the broadhead. You know what to do. :)

    In all seriousness, I feel for you, I really do. But you have to look at
    the bigger picture and realize this petition is only going to hurt ALL of us
    in the end. But you've been told that enough at this point, if you still
    don't believe that no one here can help you see.

    Happy Gaming
    Loony
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > > It appears the European version will have the option of German
    Subtitles.

    > Yeah, reading subtitles... ever watched a movie in foreign language with
    > subtitles on? How much of the time did you acutally watch the movie, and
    > how long did you read text? Maybe you get the point now.

    Amelie is one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't speak a word of
    French. So yeah, I've done my share of reading subtitles and if you're
    really trying to make this arguement, it's insulting. Not to mention a hell
    of a lot more is happening in a movie than in a game when the subtitles come
    up. In a game you stop and listen/read. In a movie the action just keeps
    going and often times you miss stuff to read, but this just isn't the case
    with Thief (which is meant to be a slow moving game) and you know it.

    > > Short of paying a bunch of voice actors to read them for the German fans
    > > out there, I don't really understand the point of this petition.
    >
    > Well, in case that EVERY SINGLE SPOKEN WORD is displayed as text on the
    > screen (and it is displayed long enough so that non-english speakers have
    > time to read it) than it's still an issue, but a smaller one. But I doubt
    > that _that_ is the case.

    You're right, some of the snide guard comments will probably not appear as
    subtitles. If that's critical to you, don't buy the game. Stick it to the
    man.

    > Anyway, I knew it's kinda 'unwise' to post that petition here since (I
    > guess) most of a.g.t-d-p readers only speak english and therefor don't
    > know what the issue is.

    I'm glad you did, now you know how the ones that replied to this feel.

    > Don't worry, if you don't understand it, simply don't vote. Couldn't be
    > easier...

    If your mixed up logic doesn't persuade anyone, you could always talk down
    to them. So thanks for that. This is obviously an error in my
    comprehension and not my opinion.

    Happy Gaming
    Loony
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Yeah, reading subtitles... ever watched a movie in foreign language with
    > subtitles on? How much of the time did you acutally watch the movie, and
    > how long did you read text? Maybe you get the point now.

    We always have subtitles on movies and documentaries, we never dub anything
    here where i live. Personally I think that's a good thing, as very often the
    voice of a character is very important to his personality. And when reading
    the subtitles you don't miss any of the movie, as you do not stare at the
    subtitles, reading every syllable, the brain is good enough at reading to
    *see* the words and interpret the whole sentence at a very early age...

    > Anyway, I knew it's kinda 'unwise' to post that petition here since (I
    > guess) most of a.g.t-d-p readers only speak english and therefor don't
    > know what the issue is.

    That's not true at all! There's active particpants from all over Europe in
    this forum, people who do not have English as their first language,
    including me.

    I think the main reason the petition didn't get full support here was
    explained very well by CB Hamlyn.... The more petitions the less likely it
    is that Eidos will take notice of any of them, and i feel it's important
    that the community speaks with one voice, to get the most important issue
    through, which I'm sure is the tool set for the Germans as well.

    > Don't worry, if you don't understand it, simply don't vote. Couldn't be
    > easier...
    >
    > --
    > Eine falsch abgetrennte Sig kann gar nicht falsch abgetrennt sein,
    > weil, wenn sie falsch abgetrennt ist, ist sie keine Sig mehr, und
    > kann somit gar nicht falsch abgetrennt sein.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Loony" <loony@nospam.loony.name> schrieb:

    > > By the way, we are talking about more than 100 Million (Billion for US)
    > > people where german is their native language. The majority in Europe I
    > > guess.
    > >
    > For crying out loud stop using that number. Take your 100 Million and
    > filter out those that:
    > 1) Do not Speak/Understand English at all.
    > 2) Cannot read their native langauage subtitles or have some hang up to
    > reading subtitles.
    > 3) Are gamers.
    > 4) Are gamers interested in Thief.
    >
    > What's that leave you? 100 maybe? Tops? If Eidos stood to lose
    > approximately 3 Billion USD in sales from the 100 Million you seem to be
    > claiming will buy this game, I think they'd jump at a German voiced
    > version... But that's just not the case. So if you're gonna start
    > pulling numbers out of your ass, try an accurate statement like:

    You'r capable of reading, but understanding seems to be a bit too
    difficult. I am writing about the NUMBER OF PEOPLE SPEAKING GERMAN. Guess
    you didn't figure that out. Well, sorry. You can still say my english is
    not good enough to make myself understood.

    > "There's at least 50 gamers that won't buy your stupid Thief 3 game cause
    > they don't understand English and can't read German!"

    But _you_ are the master chief of numbers and languages. *sic*

    [..]
    > In all seriousness, I feel for you, I really do. But you have to look at
    > the bigger picture and realize this petition is only going to hurt ALL of
    > us in the end. But you've been told that enough at this point, if you
    > still don't believe that no one here can help you see.

    Don't insult my intelligence by talking to me like I'm a complete idiot.

    I see no reason get that personal. That's why this discussion has come to
    an end for me.

    PS: Stop bitching about other people who are not so good in english if
    it's not their native language. Just makes you look like a sorrow bighead.

    --
    "Etwas lernen? Ich bitte dich, wir sind im Usenet..."
    (Thomas Hühn in de.admin.news.misc)

    > > What's that leave you? 100 maybe? Tops? If Eidos stood to lose
    > > approximately 3 Billion USD in sales from the 100 Million you seem to be
    > > claiming will buy this game, I think they'd jump at a German voiced
    > > version... But that's just not the case. So if you're gonna start
    > > pulling numbers out of your ass, try an accurate statement like:
    >
    > You'r capable of reading, but understanding seems to be a bit too
    > difficult. I am writing about the NUMBER OF PEOPLE SPEAKING GERMAN. Guess
    > you didn't figure that out. Well, sorry. You can still say my english is
    > not good enough to make myself understood.

    LOL. Me checks the subject of the post. Yup, still says "Petition for a
    fully localized german version." Pardon me for assuming a figure you'd use
    to demonstrate the interest in a "Petition for a fully localized german
    version." would be completely arbitrary. Yes, there are 100 Million German
    speaking europeans (according to you, I've not checked that fact out). I
    was simply trying to understand why you continue to post that number as
    though it were a valid piece of evidence for your arguement.

    > > "There's at least 50 gamers that won't buy your stupid Thief 3 game
    cause
    > > they don't understand English and can't read German!"
    >
    > But _you_ are the master chief of numbers and languages. *sic*

    I've been called worse by better. <shrug>

    > > In all seriousness, I feel for you, I really do. But you have to look
    at
    > > the bigger picture and realize this petition is only going to hurt ALL
    of
    > > us in the end. But you've been told that enough at this point, if you
    > > still don't believe that no one here can help you see.
    >
    > Don't insult my intelligence by talking to me like I'm a complete idiot.

    This was my way of attempting to bow out with dignity. I honestly meant no
    offence. I simply meant that you've made your case, a few others have made
    theirs and at this point you're defending it past the point it needs to be
    defended. I speak from experience on this, as I'm the king (or master chief
    if you will) of over defending a post. There's just nothing more to
    discuss, unless you want to continue to wave your fist at me.

    > I see no reason get that personal. That's why this discussion has come to
    > an end for me.

    See, now this kills me. You accuse me of getting personal when you, in this
    very same post said:
    "You'r capable of reading, but understanding seems to be a bit too
    difficult."
    "Guess you didn't figure that out."
    and
    "But _you_ are the master chief of numbers and languages. *sic*"

    So get off your high horse. You're the only one insulting intelligence
    here. I happen to think you're a smart person, and have already apologized
    for making you feel that I've insulted you in anyway... and I meant it.

    > PS: Stop bitching about other people who are not so good in english if
    > it's not their native language. Just makes you look like a sorrow bighead.

    I can't seem to find anywhere where I "bitched" about other people who don't
    speak English as their native language. I do take offense to anyone who
    expects special treatment because they're different. So I don't give a
    flying turd if you speak German as your native language, but if you feel you
    have the right to demand that a company take their product and modify it
    because it's not in German then I'll bitch about it, cause you don't have
    that right.

    So yeah, I'd much rather play T3 than continue this pointless argument. But
    thanks for the sparring practice :)

    Hope to chat with you again soon about happier topics :)
    Loony (at work)
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:03:04 +0200, "Martin Seibert" <realsyntech@gmx.at>
    wrote:

    >By the way, we are talking about more than 100 Million (Billion for US)
    >people where german is their native language. The majority in Europe I
    >guess.

    82 million Germans + 8 million Austrians. (I'm not sure why you the US
    uses billion to mean million.) 90 million people. I really don't think
    that comprises the majority of Europe.

    Hey, I'm all for localization (as long as it doesn't delay the initial
    release) but if you're going to debate a point at least don't start off by
    using silly hyperbole.

    Anyhow I rather doubt every single German speaker has a computer and would
    buy Thief 3. Anyone know what the sales were for T2 over there?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    >snip a lot<

    Some people are uncapable of expressing their opinion without being rude,
    pay no attention and please don't think that's representative for the
    "English" community :-)

    If, however, the German community also stand behind the petition for having
    the editor tools released, you will have the opportunity to make all German
    FM's, so this might to be a possible good compromise?
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Some people are uncapable of expressing their opinion without being rude,
    > pay no attention and please don't think that's representative for the
    > "English" community :-)

    Pot calling the kettle black? There's a difference between being firm and
    being rude. I take a firm hand against people using illogic to mislead
    people. Nothing I said in the prior post was intended to be rude. I
    already apologized for his taking my comments as rude.

    Why do you insist on getting involved in my posts in a negative way? How do
    you feel you have the right to discredit any statement I've made?

    > If, however, the German community also stand behind the petition for
    having
    > the editor tools released, you will have the opportunity to make all
    German
    > FM's, so this might to be a possible good compromise?

    This was my point from the beginning, more or less. Thank you for stating
    it in a clearer and less likely to be misinterpreted way. :) I do
    appreciate this type of involvement.

    Happy Thieving
    Loony
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "McEve" <mceve@azcappy.com> schrieb:

    > >snip a lot<
    >
    > Some people are uncapable of expressing their opinion without being rude,
    > pay no attention and please don't think that's representative for the
    > "English" community :-)

    hmm... ok

    At the end, it happend what I thought will happen. I'd better not come
    here to ask for support for the german community (which is for sure
    more than 50 gamers), where the majority is not affected by the petition.

    Anyway, if it's true that the translation is as poor as a babelfish
    translation, I can still stick to english text and my dictionary. :-|

    > If, however, the German community also stand behind the petition for
    > having the editor tools released, you will have the opportunity to make
    > all German FM's, so this might to be a possible good compromise?

    I fully support the petiton for an SDK/Editor/whatever because I want to
    see as much FMs for T3 as I hopefully will get my hands on soon for T1/T2.

    And yes, I also signed it because it makes full sense to me, even if I
    won't make any FMs.

    --
    "Bitte stecken Sie ihren Spassstock in den Spassstockhafen."
    [aus einer Beschreibung eines alten Joysticks]

    > At the end, it happend what I thought will happen. I'd better not come
    > here to ask for support for the german community (which is for sure
    > more than 50 gamers), where the majority is not affected by the petition.

    I never meant to dissuade you from posting here. I've for one enjoyed your
    other posts. You posted this topic and I voiced my non-supporting opinion.
    It was overly wrong of me to attack you on what you said but I wanted people
    to understand that the logic you were using was misleading. You took it as
    a personal attack and we had a little sparring match. I apologize again for
    the confusion. I hope you continue to post here often as I enjoy talking
    with you.

    > Anyway, if it's true that the translation is as poor as a babelfish
    > translation, I can still stick to english text and my dictionary. :-|

    God I hope that's not true :( If that's the case I don't blame you one bit
    for pushing for your petition, but I still won't be able to support it. You
    understand I hope.

    > I fully support the petiton for an SDK/Editor/whatever because I want to
    > see as much FMs for T3 as I hopefully will get my hands on soon for T1/T2.
    >
    > And yes, I also signed it because it makes full sense to me, even if I
    > won't make any FMs.

    Excellent. Glad to hear it.

    Happy Thieving
    Loony
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    --
    "Bitte stecken Sie ihren Spassstock in den Spassstockhafen."
    [aus einer Beschreibung eines alten Joysticks]

    "Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spamblock.com> schrieb:
    [..]
    > you expect me to not comment on it?! Bloody idiot.

    *plonk*
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:32:37 -0400, "CB Hamlyn"
    <cbh@newenglandhomes.net> wrote:

    >> Some people are uncapable of expressing their opinion without being rude,
    >> pay no attention and please don't think that's representative for the
    >> "English" community :-)
    >>
    >Pot calling the kettle black? There's a difference between being firm and
    >being rude. I take a firm hand against people using illogic to mislead
    >people. Nothing I said in the prior post was intended to be rude. I
    >already apologized for his taking my comments as rude.
    >
    >Why do you insist on getting involved in my posts in a negative way? How do
    >you feel you have the right to discredit any statement I've made?

    Well, at least it's more straigthforward than the last time, when she
    started her on/off topic trolling cuz we didn't welcome poor Max back
    with open arms in another thread...

    What's up Chuck?

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > >> Some people are uncapable of expressing their opinion without being
    rude,
    > >> pay no attention and please don't think that's representative for the
    > >> "English" community :-)
    > >>
    > >Pot calling the kettle black? There's a difference between being firm
    and
    > >being rude. I take a firm hand against people using illogic to mislead
    > >people. Nothing I said in the prior post was intended to be rude. I
    > >already apologized for his taking my comments as rude.
    > >
    > >Why do you insist on getting involved in my posts in a negative way? How
    do
    > >you feel you have the right to discredit any statement I've made?
    >
    > Well, at least it's more straigthforward than the last time, when she
    > started her on/off topic trolling cuz we didn't welcome poor Max back
    > with open arms in another thread...

    LOL. Yes, well, let's not start another one of those threads!
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> schrieb:

    > >By the way, we are talking about more than 100 Million (Billion for US)
    > >people where german is their native language. The majority in Europe I
    > >guess.
    >
    > 82 million Germans + 8 million Austrians. (I'm not sure why you the US
    > uses billion to mean million.) 90 million people. I really don't think
    > that comprises the majority of Europe.

    Don't forget about the german part of Switzerland.

    > Hey, I'm all for localization (as long as it doesn't delay the initial
    > release) but if you're going to debate a point at least don't start off
    > by using silly hyperbole.
    >
    > Anyhow I rather doubt every single German speaker has a computer and
    > would buy Thief 3. Anyone know what the sales were for T2 over there?

    I think it makes a difference if a language is spoken by 1 Mio.
    Poeple or by 100 Mio. in terms of localizations - because the number of
    POTENTIAL customers is quite higher to be a POINT for Eidos in case of
    sales.

    I never said 100 Mio. people will by a translated version of T3. I just
    wanted to express my opionen about: more potential customers == more sales

    Seems most of you think I'm plain wrong, based on the response I get.

    We will see how many people really don't buy it end of next week (that
    is the release date in europe - see, it is NOT realeased here yet) because
    they prefer translated voice.

    My copy is on the way. I'll see what I've paid for and what I've got, then.
    At least I've paid much less than I would have to, if I would buy it here.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Martin Seibert" <realsyntech@gmx.at> writes:

    > Yeah, reading subtitles... ever watched a movie in foreign language with
    > subtitles on? How much of the time did you acutally watch the movie, and
    > how long did you read text? Maybe you get the point now.

    This is kind of apropos, because in Germany most American movies and
    television get dubbed. In some other countries they're subtitled
    instead. People can get used to subtitles, especially if they've
    grown up with them. But I can see that telling a very large market
    that they're not important enough to have dubbing is somewhat
    insulting. At the very least they could have done what Gothic did
    with their English version and provided bad voice acting at a
    discount.

    Maybe all the voices should have been in Inuit or Klingon or some
    other rare language, to emphasize that fact that the story isn't
    taking place in the real world. Thus everyone has to put up with
    subtitles and no one gets special treatment.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    I'm not a well adjusted person, but I play one on the net.

    "Loony" <loony@nospam.loony.name> writes:

    > In all seriousness, I feel for you, I really do. But you have to look at
    > the bigger picture and realize this petition is only going to hurt ALL of us
    > in the end.

    It won't hurt anyone. No online petition anywhere has ever had an
    affect on anything. They're just ways of blowing off steam. And
    if they do have an affect because of some freak alignment of the
    planets, I don't see why there can be only one that succeeds.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    "Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"

    Greger Hoel <gregerh@spamblock.com> writes:

    > I'm
    > judging a bunch of jackasses who think they're *entitled* to playing
    > their games dubbed in their native tongue.

    You mean like Americans? If there were no English voice acting,
    I'd bet most here would be clamoring for their entitled localization.

    It's just a petition that no one will ever read, get over it. Any
    decision about what to do has already been made, and an insignificant
    online community won't sway executive opinion. No need to panic over
    a few votes.

    --
    Darin Johnson
    I'm not a well adjusted person, but I play one on the net.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:20:40 GMT, Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net>
    wrote:

    >Greger Hoel <gregerh@spamblock.com> writes:
    >
    >> I'm
    >> judging a bunch of jackasses who think they're *entitled* to playing
    >> their games dubbed in their native tongue.
    >
    >You mean like Americans? If there were no English voice acting,
    >I'd bet most here would be clamoring for their entitled localization.

    Speaking for myself, as long as I get subtitles, I always prefer the
    original language.

    >It's just a petition that no one will ever read, get over it. Any
    >decision about what to do has already been made, and an insignificant
    >online community won't sway executive opinion. No need to panic over
    >a few votes.

    That's my point. It can't sway executive opinion fro them to start
    work on a german version. It can, however, sway executive opinion on
    petition sin general.

    What's up Chuck?

  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:10:06 +0200, Greger Hoel <gregerh@spamblock.com>
    wrote:
    >petition sin

    Hehe.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 00:15:23 GMT, Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:10:06 +0200, Greger Hoel <gregerh@spamblock.com>
    >wrote:
    >>petition sin

    Maybe I should call a psychoanalyst about that slip? :P

    What's up Chuck?

Games Video Games Product