Sdhc as bootable raid ssd

can i use cheap sdhc memory,cheap card readers, and a usb 2.0 pci expansion card to create a third bootable raid partition. ?i know the mobo has to b raid capable,and usb bootable.can this hardware be configured to be used like an ssd?
2 answers Last reply
More about sdhc bootable raid
  1. Huh - I wrote a question like this years ago. Cheap RAID SSD. You won't get anything like the performance of an SSD from this, probably less than the performance of a decent HDD. The best, class 10, SDHC is class 10 because it gives a sustained IO rate of at least 10 MB/sec. It would take an awful lot of those to add up to a decent HDD.

Motherboards will not RAID USB drives. Generally, they rely on the southbridge which can only RAID SATA drives attached directly to southbridge ports, or a Marvell chip that can link two drives in a strange proprietary implementation of RAID 1 or RAID 0.

Short answer: no.
  2. Thank you WyomingKnott. Well now I know.I thought it was a good idea.Guess not.I am not concerned with such a configurcreation being able to compete with an ssd performance wise anyway.Just hoped i could use this stuff to multiboot old windows on and newer version on the mobos ide, and newer again with the sata.Might look more into MARVELL CHIPS to learn more.Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SDHC USB Storage