Sign in with
Your question

Are these readings normal?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 25, 2012 12:22:45 AM

I recently built a new machine (about 5 months ago) and I have decided to overclock the CPU(3570K). I purchased the Corsair H100 liquid cooler, but before I make any changes I decided to run prime95 stress test just to see what readings I got (before installation of H100). By default my frequency in core temp is at 4100.02MHz (100.00 x 41.0) and after only about two minutes of prime95 I hit 86 degrees, which is where I decided to stop. Shouldn't that frequency be lower by default? Also, at what temp should I call the stopping point in the future, while stress testing? Either way I'd appreciate some feedback, thanks in advanced.

More about : readings normal

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 25, 2012 1:12:54 AM

That frequency is high. You may want to reset your motherboard to default, just so you have a proper base point to start overclocking from.

As for the temp you stop stress testing at, I recommend not letting it go more than a few degrees past your desired max temp. (Assuming that's well below the max Intel recommends)

I try to stay below 75C so if I'm stress testing and it goes over that, I stop. I know I need to make changes at that point. No need to watch it "cook" just to see how far it goes.
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:18:16 AM

Z1NONLY said:
That frequency is high. You may want to reset your motherboard to default, just so you have a proper base point to start overclocking from.

As for the temp you stop stress testing at, I recommend not letting it go more than a few degrees past your desired max temp. (Assuming that's well below the max Intel recommends)

I try to stay below 75C so if I'm stress testing and it goes over that, I stop. I know I need to make changes at that point. No need to watch it "cook" just to see how far it goes.

Alright, well now that I know to not let it get that hot anymore, letting it go to 86C that one time wouldn't have hurt it then, correct? Or at least the chances are very slim. Also, is there any reason as to why my frequency is so high by default? Could that have been what contributed to such a high temp? Thanks.

Edit:
I figured out why it was set so high, I had changed a few settings so my RAM would be recognized at 1600MHz and apparently that overclocked my CPU at the same time, hope it didn't get it too hot.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 25, 2012 11:33:13 AM

hotelmariofan said:
Alright, well now that I know to not let it get that hot anymore, letting it go to 86C that one time wouldn't have hurt it then, correct? Or at least the chances are very slim. Also, is there any reason as to why my frequency is so high by default? Could that have been what contributed to such a high temp? Thanks.

Edit:
I figured out why it was set so high, I had changed a few settings so my RAM would be recognized at 1600MHz and apparently that overclocked my CPU at the same time, hope it didn't get it too hot.

While hotter than I would run, you were still technically "within spec" at 86C.

So your CPU should is fine.
m
l
!