Your question

GA-X58A-UD3R High MCH Temp Problem

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gigabyte
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2010 10:00:39 PM

I have just built a system using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R MOBO, 12 Gig of Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 XMP DDR3 12800 RAM and an i7-920 CPU running @ standard 2.66GHz.

My problem is from day one the MCH temp tends to hover around 53C and under Prime95 stressing it can get as high as 65C. I have emailed Gigabyte and received no reply, has anyone run into this before?

I'm new at this and want to know if this is normal. Any help is really appreciated.

More about : x58a ud3r high mch temp problem

June 26, 2010 6:18:48 PM

I've got exactly the same problem, but my MCH temperature is running at almost 60C while idling.
m
l
June 28, 2010 11:52:33 AM

Hi jabbye,

Wow, this post has been up so long I'd forgotten about it. It turns out that what you are looking at is the temp of the Northbridge (X58), there is no "MCH" (Memory Control Hub) as this task has been taken over by the i7 CPU. The Gigabyte BIOS needs to be rewritten to correctly identify the chip.

In my experience Gigabyte did a less than adequate job dealing with heat on their UD3R MOBO but it's OK, even getting 60 C at idle since the chip is designed to operate above 100 C. This temp rises as you overclock.

To solve the problem on my MOBO I pointed an 80 mm fan at the heatsink and dropped the operating temp at idle by 10 - 15 C. My next step will be to put the Northbridge, Southbridge and vRegs under water.

I hope this helps.
m
l
!