Malware on laptop... Using Desktop to clean Hard Drive

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I am new to this, a friend told me to add the hard drive from my laptop to my desktop and run malware bytes. The virus will not let me add a USB drive to the laptop and I cannot access filezilla to retrieve files from my server, so my only option is to add the hard drive to my desktop...

I have added it via sata cable, I thought I hooked it up properly but the desktop is not reading the drive....

Here is a picture of how I hooked it up, you might be able to see an error I have made... Please let me know what I can do to get my desktop to read the drive, I have many important files for clients on there and I cannot afford to reinstall windows, thanks :)

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Check Disk Management and see if the drive needs to be activated, or even shows up. I also know that a lot of Dells need the BIOS setting for that SATA port turned on. (I can tell it's a Dell desktop :D) I would check the BIOS 1st.

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hey guys you pointed it out... I am almost 99% sure the sata needs to be setup in bios... thanks so much, I am going to do that and will reply..

P.S Yes I already did check disk management and it did not appear...

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
because if you read above the virus will not let me add a USB drive to the laptop (I do not have malware bytes installed on the laptop, only desktop)

Ok I have encountered a new issue and I believe this should be the last roadblock...

When I turn the sata drive on in bios it runs it as the master drive, I do not know how to run it as a slave drive... According to the setup above can you analyze and let me know how I would run it as a slave drive?

Also the virus will not let me get past the windows loading screen....

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Not sure excatly what you mean... I am not a bios expert by any means, I have used it a few times before and thats about it...

Here is the only problem, it keeps booting the toshiba (laptop) HD first, I tried switching the sata cables and same result... If anyone can help me switch the master drive that would help a lot...

But even then I am not 100% sure I can fix this drive and save my precious files, because the drive wont even boot past the windows startup and i think a lot of the files have been deleted.. After I get the master/slave situation handled I will take this to the malware section but do you think this drive is toast, should I just do a fresh install?

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

I know what the sata operation is I saw it in the bios (I did not know what the exact name was at the time) It is set on ada or something like that vs raid.. I think haha I cant remember the names, I did try both though.. I will get a picture right now..

P.S when sata 2 is turned on the computer automatically detects that sata port as master, wether the HD is hooked up or not, when sata 2 is on it will not load the primary HD, in order for me to log into my desktop I must turn that sata port off...

Alright does that HDD have any jumpers on it? I tried looking up the manual and pictures of it but unsure. It might require you to change the jumper setting to set that HDD as a slave instead of a master.

It should say right on the drive itself on the label.

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
PPziC.jpg

Note the toshiba drive is the infected one, from the laptop...

LXEF8.jpg

8iOoq.jpg

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Last thing you can do is not have the SATA cable plugged into the laptop drive, and boot the system. Once into Windows, plug the SATA cable in, and go to the Device Manager and do a refresh for hardware changes. That should trigger Windows to see the drive and install it. I have a hot swap drive on my machine for doing the very thing you're trying to do, and I normally have to go into the Device Manager to get the PC to see the drive once I power it up.

visumdesignz

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I hooked the drive back up to my laptop and ran the windows 7 recovery disc, after running that i am able to get back into windows...

I have been working in safemode trying to figure out how to completely get rid of the virus, because malwarebytes did not remove it all, it just made it cleaner and allows me to login normally without much problem... I had work to do for a client and I was in normal mode for about an hour last night, I hope the virus did not steal anything... Eset kept sayingI had the olmarik.tdl4 and that it was locked and could not be removed...

So I want to turn this thread into a solution for getting rid of the virus...

thanks

TRENDING THREADS