Sign in with
Your question

New system - no monitor output

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2010 10:49:26 PM

Hi guys

I've built a few systems before, but never run into my current problem.
I built a system with the following components:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 - 2.66 GHz
RAM: 2x Kingston 2GB DDR3
HD: Seagate 500gb 7200rpm

I'm just using onboard graphics and don't own a video card and my PSU is 750W with 20+4 pin and 4+4 pin motherboard connectors

My problem is that I don't get any monitor output - the computer powers up but the monitor goes straight to power saving mode as soon as I turn the computer on. The monitor is a brand new Dell P2210 which I tested on my laptop and works fine.

Unfortunately, I don't have any replacement parts to test the components and my case has no speakers so I can't hear the motherboard boot beep, so I'm a bit stuck as to the problem. I have rebuilt it twice to test the connections, and tried adding a piece at a time, nothing works. My research suggests a problem with either the motherboard or the PSU, but I really have no way of testing either component.

Wondering what you guys think?

Cheers.

More about : system monitor output

February 16, 2010 11:01:53 PM

ok... the motherboard beep or post, should sound regardless if you have speakers hooked up or not... there is a mini built in speaker on your mobo for that. If your motherboard is not posting then you have a hardware issue.
1. is everything plugged in correctly and secured in place?
2. were you grounded to the case when installing hardware?
3. I assume your fans are comming on and your hdd light is lit? if so your power supply is supplying power however if the 4 pin or the 20 pin connector is not secure than it will not post. also it may have an additional 4 pin on the board that also needs hooked up... verify this...

I hope this helps you...

m
l
February 16, 2010 11:16:27 PM

These problems usually have to do with video directed to other port than you are connected to ....

Interestingly, The newegg specs list this MB ass having NO onboard graphics, WHILE the photos clearly show 3 different "Video Out" port options ... Hmmmm ...
I am just going to assume the specs are mis-printed, as the CPU has GMA aboard.

You clearly hace a VGA(D-sub) connector, a DVI connector, and an HDMI (display port?) output, as well ... try hooking the HDMI to your TV and try a DVI>HDMI>HDTV adapter setup, too ...

Also, if at all possible, get your hands on any PCIe display card, just for trouble-shooting ...

One of these options should let you view the BIOS/Setup screens and select the desired output (if they aren't alreeady "mirrored", as a default)

Here is a cut-n-paste from newegg specs:

Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC889
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8111D
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 1
Video Ports D-Sub + DVI + Display Port
HDMI 1 x HDMI

Here is one excerpt from newegg user comments: "
Cons: Manual unclear concerning dual digital out. Finally got it by restart with hdmi/dvi connected to "on" display and AVR. Should have tried this sooner as I knew this worked on other single digital MBs. However, displayport is still elusive. Usually it's displayport plus one other. No response from displayport with adapter even as the sole connection.

Just some stuff to give you a "plan of attack" ... Try all the ports ... use output adapters, HDTVs, PCIe video cards to perform "Casualty Swapping" (Submarine Speak)

=Al=
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2010 11:26:33 PM

I can't see an onboard speaker on the photo, at work so don't have the MB handy - bought a speaker anyhow - super cheap so I'll plug that in when it arrives. Definitely sure that everything is plugged in and in the right place (checked MB manual) and checked it three times, so pretty confident there and I should have been grounded, I make sure I do that so maybe I forgot, but unlikely.

The MB definitely has onboard video chipset according to the specs from gigabyte.

Tried the monitor on both VGA and DVI, haven't tried HDMI yet so I'll give that a go if I can.

Was eventually going to buy a PCIe graphics card, may have to do it early and test that out.

Not sure what the newegg user is saying there...
m
l
February 16, 2010 11:37:42 PM

You may have a defective motherboard... There is allways a post speaker wether there is a plug for it with a little itty bitty speaker that plugs into it or if its built in. Again if it does not post you have a problem... You can try putting a card in and see if it boots but i guarentee if it is not posting than that will not make a difference.. and even if that does make a difference than there is something wrong with the onboard chipset... so either way i would trouble shoot the mobo and find out whether it should be rma'd or not...
m
l
February 16, 2010 11:40:12 PM

Alvin Smith said:
These problems usually have to do with video directed to other port than you are connected to ....

Interestingly, The newegg specs list this MB ass having NO onboard graphics, WHILE the photos clearly show 3 different "Video Out" port options ... Hmmmm ...
I am just going to assume the specs are mis-printed, as the CPU has GMA aboard.

You clearly hace a VGA(D-sub) connector, a DVI connector, and an HDMI (display port?) output, as well ... try hooking the HDMI to your TV and try a DVI>HDMI>HDTV adapter setup, too ...

Also, if at all possible, get your hands on any PCIe display card, just for trouble-shooting ...

One of these options should let you view the BIOS/Setup screens and select the desired output (if they aren't alreeady "mirrored", as a default)

Here is a cut-n-paste from newegg specs:

Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC889
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8111D
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 1
Video Ports D-Sub + DVI + Display Port
HDMI 1 x HDMI

Here is one excerpt from newegg user comments: "
Cons: Manual unclear concerning dual digital out. Finally got it by restart with hdmi/dvi connected to "on" display and AVR. Should have tried this sooner as I knew this worked on other single digital MBs. However, displayport is still elusive. Usually it's displayport plus one other. No response from displayport with adapter even as the sole connection.

Just some stuff to give you a "plan of attack" ... Try all the ports ... use output adapters, HDTVs, PCIe video cards to perform "Casualty Swapping" (Submarine Speak)

=Al=

I would have suggested this had he not stated that the motherboard did not post... That is step one in this troubleshooting issue
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:01:18 AM

OK ... two other things that might be suspect ...

Seriously ... Go ahead and reseat your memory stix ... also try one stick at a time (single module/single channel) ... you can move this one stick around, too, and try one of the other stix as "only one" ....

Also, Check/Reseat all PCIe cards AND power connections ... if no-go, then disconnect individual drives, etc, to simplify power/load issues ...

Finally ... Does the PSU fan spin (and remain spinning/whirring), after you "power up" ?

check all the really stupid stuff that it "could not possibly be" ... good power? good outlet? good power-strip? GFI breakers? Power cord seated fully at both ends?

I agree about the
POST beeps ... you should hear some sort of beep-code ... if not, this could be the MB shorting on the chassis (or somewhere) ... a bad card or drive or prepheral (creating an open or a short) ... A defective MB ... A defective PSU (or harness or connector).

If you ain't getting POST beep codes, it is something fundamental and likely, power related ... or just a bad MB.

You may choose to RMA the mommy *and* the PSU ... be sure to specify a tested board. ... make sure that PSU fan is spinning and keeps spinning.

Strip the system dow to the barest, simplest, functional config ... disconnect and remove any component that is not required for
POST ... the go to minimum boot config ... build up, from there.

=Al=
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:07:15 AM

The ram could deffinatly be a reason for a no-post so there is alot of suspect issues here....
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:40:34 AM

Ok, I'm an idiot (haven't solved the problem yet). Darkjuggalo sparked my memory with the speaker, so went home and found it in a drawer, put it there and forgot about it completely. Plugged that in and it posts - there is a beep code, didn't pay enough attention to it to work out if it is the RAM or video error, will check that out in a couple of hours when I get home again.

The BIOS is AWARD BIOS - the code definitely starts with one long, not sure how many short are after it so will check that out and get back to you guys.
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:45:22 AM

see and you bought a speaker for no reason lol

yea deffiantly check your video output connections like alvin suggested.. and like i said before if you get nothing on your tv or through any connector than call gigabite and troubleshoot with them so they can get an rma to replace that because if that chipset is bad then who knows what else could go bad down the line... and if the warranty is void than i guess you will just have to get a video card and test it... good luck
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:48:36 AM

Lucky the speaker only cost $3 then!
m
l
February 17, 2010 1:05:16 AM

given your latest feedback (however incomplete) ... here are my projected odds ...

Memory not seated properly (or one bad stick) ... 90%

Expansion Card not properly seated ... 8%

Drive power (or +12V Molex) connector, not properly seated ... 2%

Bad PSU ... 0.0000235%

Focus and attention, as a contributing factor ... 98%

=grin=

( I believe you will solve this (soon) without an RMA ) <<< the good news !

m
l
February 17, 2010 1:10:15 AM

hopefully that is the case that would be good news for you
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:23:48 AM

Ok, I must say that you guys have been amazing so far. I got the beep codes and it is 1 long and 2 short. I believe with AWARD BIOS on a Gigabyte motherboard this indicates a video card/adapter problem. The descriptions I've read are that the video card is not seated properley or faulty or it could be a motherboard issue.

I think the motherboard is probably the problem as I have never installed or tried to install a video card on the system. Another question is why is the motherboard not trying to use the onboard video and going straight to a non-existant video card - I'm confused lol but at least getting somewhere. Sent the info off the Gigabyte, so hopefully they can shed some light, but curious as to what you guys think...

Thanks again
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:33:09 AM

Reseat the card into the leftmost slot, as u face the back of system ...
Enter Setup ...
Select your primary graphics device and output port ...
BE ABSLOLUTELY SURE TO S A V E and exit, then reboot ...
If you do not tweak.verify setup (properly) AND SAVE/Exit the new BIOs cnfig settings, then your system may not see or recognize the new card/config.
Make CERTAIN the PCIe card is listed as the Primary Video Device and the onboard GMA is set to "OFF" ... no, I have never seen your BIOS screens. No eye deer.

=Al= Jus' some thots.

m
l
February 17, 2010 10:35:59 AM

Hmmm, on further careful listening, it could be 1 long and 3 short - the short are so close together it's damn hard to tell... plus that some sites say the new AWARD BIOS don't use the three beeps anymore...

Anyhow, I belive one long, three short means that there is a bad video card, no video card, bad video memory etc. Still leads back to the same issue as my previous post I guess...
m
l
February 17, 2010 10:38:00 AM

Alvin, can't reseat a card I don't have, I don't have a PCIe card, been trying to run it off the onboard video. Do you think I need a PCIe to fix this?
m
l
February 17, 2010 11:03:17 AM

Sorry ... Sorry ... No ... NO ! Too many forum posts, tonite, got confused but, everything I said was valid, except choose the GMA as your primary and select your desired output port, if it presents you with a field or a sub-screen or a menu slection, for whichever port ...
... Also ... that video uses shared main system memory, does it not ?
... It probably lets you allocate how much (go with 512MB) if it'll let you ...
... you could/should drop amother 2x1GB sticks, in there ... you really need more memory.
.... Also,
... those sticks should be in staggered sockets ... 1st and 3rd ... did I mention that?
Matched pairs, in staggered slots ... for Dual Channel mode ... else you will bog down.

Whatever changes you make, verify them by going into SETUP ... SAVE SETUP and EXIT ... watch your POST reports. If you do not save your changes in the BIOS SETUP, the system won't ever register the proper/new configuration.

I just did a long forum post on memory configuration and casualty swapping ... just an hour ago ... long detailed explanation ... go find it. (if you want to get your mem config straight, and rule out mem issues, which are part of this.
m
l
February 17, 2010 11:12:35 AM

Ok, I follow you with the memory, but how do I alter the setup if I can't get any video output?
m
l
February 17, 2010 11:31:50 AM

Remove all memory and all expansion cards ... turn it on ... does the beep code change ???

Time to start swappin' ! Time to get real.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a c 85 V Motherboard
February 17, 2010 2:22:05 PM

Wow, I can't believe this whole long conversation went on without anybody pointing out the obvious. The Intel i5 750 CPU doesn't have an integrated GPU. You can't use the video output on that motherboard unless it's paired with a CPU that has an integrated GPU. Currently the only Intel chips that will work with the video output on that motherboard are dual-core CPU's. Here's a list of chips that would work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
February 17, 2010 3:24:45 PM

sorry i didnt know the specs on the processor i am and amd fanatic

then it appears buying a video card will solve your problem
m
l
February 17, 2010 3:30:42 PM

Son ... of ... a ... B I O T C H ! ! !
Did not know there were that many flavors of i5 ... Live-n-learn !!!

Here, ya go ... Problem solved ! UHG! (the shame and embarassment)!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

= Al = Clack! ... whirrrr . . . click . . . click . . . click . . . BANG !!!

m
l
February 17, 2010 7:16:04 PM

Ah, if thats the case then, thats fantastic. I was eventually going to upgrade to a PCIe graphics card anway, I'll just do it early. I'll order one and see how it goes - thanks guys, you've all been amazing!
m
l
!