Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB Drive - PC vs Mac

GmhMedia

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hello, I am trying to understand how it is that a Seagate GoFlex Desk External Hard drive, purposely formatted for use on Mac's only in a work environment, has now been switched to a PC operating environment and all of the files that the drive held - created in a Mac OS, are now missing? Have they been deleted when the drive was "accidentally" converted to operate in a PC environment? Or, are they sitting on the drive but an neither be seen when viewed in a PC or Mac environment? What is going on? Appreciate any help or suggestion as to where I should look. Cheers

GmhMedia

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Thanks Chainzsaw for that link, will certainly follow it up.

The company is running the latest Version of Windows 7. Yes, I was aware of the different file systems employed by PC and Macs, hence my decision to format the drive for exclusive use on the Mac system, on which we do all of our editing and capture of the media files.

However, I'm not a Mac person by training, so am at a loss to understand exactly how it could happened in the first place. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Cheers

You might like to consider HFSExplorer:
http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html

"HFSExplorer is an application that can read Mac-formatted hard disks and disk images.

It can read the file systems HFS (Mac OS Standard), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and HFSX (Mac OS Extended with case sensitive file names).

HFSExplorer allows you to browse your Mac volumes with a graphical file system browser, extract files (copy to hard disk), view detailed information about the volume and create disk images from the volume."