Directly Connecting two PC's

Okay so basically I have two computers directly connected with an Ethernet cable and both of those computers are connected to a wireless network.

My problem is that when I want to transfer files over the direct line I have to disable the wireless connection on the computer I'm using or it transfers the files over the wifi.

How I know this is that if I'm connected to the internet I only get 1mb/sec transfer speeds and if I disconnect it shoots up to 10mb/sec.

I'm not really sure how to get the computer to transfer over the direct connection with the internet connection on.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about directly connecting
  1. You could try to increase the Wifi interface metric or you can set a permanent route to each PC that goes through the Ethernet link.
  2. How would I go about setting up a permanent route in Vista 64 bit?
  3. It's the same as XP, Windows Server 2003, etc. Before permanently adding the routes, add them temporarily from a DOS window and perform your tests. The syntax is:

route add other_PC_IP_address mask 255.255.255.255 Interface_IP_address_to_use

Example: route add 10.1.1.2 mask 255.255.255.255 10.1.1.1

If it works, add -p to the command to make it permanent. You can delete a route with this command:

route delete route_to_delete
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Computers Networking