Sign in with
Your question

Acer 6293 OS change

Last response: in Windows XP
October 8, 2012 6:44:33 PM

Hello, i have an Acer 6293 with Vista and i want to change it to Win XP. i am worried about the "bio protection" fingerprint thing it has.
Will It be a problem?

i do have the password and the thing works for me (at times) but i dont like it.
i am worried might i encounter some difficulty reinstalling to XP.
i just want to avoid any suprises. at that time i would disable it (the bio pass) too.

thanks

More about : acer 6293 change

October 9, 2012 12:22:17 AM

If you installed XP, you would have to format the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. Meaning you would have to first obtain a copy of XP, and eBay is about the only place you can do that anymore, so you have the added fun of it being an OEM copy and quite possibly a scam auction. Then you have to track down all the necessary drivers needed to install and run XP on your laptop, and install them all in the proper order on your own. If any of that sounds daunting to you, then you would be well advised to just stick with what you have.
October 9, 2012 3:29:13 PM

i'm going to reinstall. when i press f2 on startup it brings me to a password screen. i put the pass# in and enter, but the computer just restarts... does not enter bios. does not boot of bootable xp disk. what can i do?
Related resources
October 9, 2012 6:39:01 PM

You'll have to contact Acer to get help with clearing that BIOS password. That's beyond what is allowed via the Tom's forum rules. I don't mean this to be insulting, but if you are unsure of how to deal with a BIOS password, I would put your odds of being able to install XP successfully at very low. You may really want to reconsider.
October 9, 2012 7:29:02 PM

i'm not sure why you Scott are so worried about my ability to perform certain procedures (kindly as it seems)? Or about me being scammed on ebay etc. i am kind of familiar with how Corporate workers feel about new OS's and moving ahead dumping that old xp, etc and so on. Thanks for the tips.

I dont mean to be rude but your people skills could use some brushing up, for someone in the "Customer Loyalty Dept".

i see now there is a separate password for the bios, is that correct?

...and if i put in the other one (for the OS) it just restarts. is this so?
October 10, 2012 7:55:39 PM

Do you think you can answer this scott

"i see now there is a separate password for the bios, is that correct?

...and if i put in the other one (for the OS) it just restarts. is this so? "
!