Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L boot problem

Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2010 11:16:39 PM

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L(rev. 1.0), BIOS Ver:F7
VGA: ATi HD 4870 x2
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00GHz
RAM: DDR2 1066MHz 4GB
PSU: Arctic Pro 850 W

I have been using this setup for the last 2 years with no problems and now it won't boot. All Fans start, Graphics card, HDD, etc but error beep code is 1 long 2 short indicating graphics card/monitor failure.

I tried another ATI graphics card that is definitely working (HD 5870) and still wouldn't boot. I tried a NVIDIA 8800GT and system booted as normal. I have tried a different PSU and no changes, the ATI graphics cards wont boot but the nvidia one will.

I really don't understand how the motherboard can suddenly stop working with my ATI graphics cards but work as normal with an old nvidia card. Anyone have any suggestions what is causing this or how I can fix it?
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 12:15:08 AM

Hello,

The 1 long 1 short beeps relates to the video card. Just double check the beep codes. Sometimes as a fan spins up, it's hard to separate out the short beeps. Try booting with no video cards in place. See if you get exactly the same beep codes.

Obvious question, did you upgrade the video card drivers recently, or possibly thru Windows 64 Update? A bad low level video driver could be the culprit. That might prevent either 4870 from initializing. Using the NVidia card would use different default drivers which could boot fine. If any questioin, you can uninstall the ATI drivers, and see if it will POST using the Win-7 default drivers, then reinstall.

The other possibility is that 1 or the two 4870's has died. Try to boot with only 1 4870 in place, then try the other, to see if one of them will permit normal POSTing. (with a bad driver, neither would POST)

A PSU that is not delivering adequate power at startup might prevent video card initialization - you tried a separate PSU with no change, which is good troubleshoting.

Those steps should help you pin down the problem

a b U Graphics card
a c 111 V Motherboard
September 29, 2010 8:53:26 PM

Actually, 1 long and 2 short suggest a problem with your RAM. Try removing/reseating your RAM, one module at a time. Also, when you get your display back, run MemTest86+ . Download the latest version of the .iso (disc image). Burn said disc image to cd. Pop disc into troubled computer and let the test run.

Any errors found suggest failure in RAM. Allow the test to run through several passes (about 8-10 should suffice).
!