• Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2010 11:24:00 PM

I have just finished building the following system:

Asus P7P55D Motherboard (standard)
Intel i5-750 quad core CPU
EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card
4 GB Corsair 1333 Mhz memory
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 Watt PSU (Modular)
Plain old CD-ROM drive
Seagate 250 GB SATA drive
Antec gaming case with two case fans

OVERCLOCKING: Not doing any but the i5-750 does Turbo Boost all on its own I believe.

Everything looks right but I do have a few questions I'd like to get nailed down before I flip the power switch on.

1) The PSU has a cable that is supposed to allegedly connect to the motherboard to provide power to the CPU. I don't see any note of such a mobo connection in the Asus manual. In my build, is it correct for that cable to remain unconnected?

2) The GTX 260 requires two 6-pin PCI-e power connectors from the PSU. The cable kit that came with the PSU included a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin connector. I checked the pin-outs for the 6 pin connector that is part of the the 6+2 connector and the ground/12V outputs seem to match up fine; by match up I mean they line up with what the standard 6 pin only connector has in the same pin connection points. Therefore I went ahead and I plugged it into the graphics card as the second PCI-e connector leaving the +2 pin portion hanging unconnected. Is there a problem with that idea? NOTE: The mobo has an 8-pin power connector where older mobo's have a 4-pin (Not the EATX junction). I'm wondering if that's where the CPU power is routed making the PSU 4-pin cable unnecessary.

3) Given my build and PSU, if I later add a Radeon HD 4670 card I already have to system, so I can leave the GTX 260 alone to do CUDA unhindered, do you think my PSU will handle the load well, even down the road when it's efficiency does the normal fading that PSUs do?

4) The Antec case has two more slots for case fans positioned over the hard drive bays. Do I need to bother with those seeing as I only have one drive in the case?

Thanks,
Robert

More about : system final checklist questions power

Best solution

February 16, 2010 11:55:28 PM

hypermem said:
1) The PSU has a cable that is supposed to allegedly connect to the motherboard to provide power to the CPU. I don't see any note of such a mobo connection in the Asus manual. In my build, is it correct for that cable to remain unconnected?

2) The GTX 260 requires two 6-pin PCI-e power connectors from the PSU. The cable kit that came with the PSU included a 6-pin and a 6+2 pin connector. I checked the pin-outs for the 6 pin connector that is part of the the 6+2 connector and the ground/12V outputs seem to match up fine; by match up I mean they line up with what the standard 6 pin only connector has in the same pin connection points. Therefore I went ahead and I plugged it into the graphics card as the second PCI-e connector leaving the +2 pin portion hanging unconnected. Is there a problem with that idea? NOTE: The mobo has an 8-pin power connector where older mobo's have a 4-pin (Not the EATX junction). I'm wondering if that's where the CPU power is routed making the PSU 4-pin cable unnecessary.

3) Given my build and PSU, if I later add a Radeon HD 4670 card I already have to system, so I can leave the GTX 260 alone to do CUDA unhindered, do you think my PSU will handle the load well, even down the road when it's efficiency does the normal fading that PSUs do?

4) The Antec case has two more slots for case fans positioned over the hard drive bays. Do I need to bother with those seeing as I only have one drive in the case?

Thanks,
Robert

1) You PSU has a 20+4-pin (24-pin) MOBO connector and a 4+4-pin (8-pin) MOBO connector which is for the CPU. Read my Step-by-Step Guide in my Sig for pictures and general locations on where to plug in. You need these both plugged in or your PC won't start.

2) If your PSU has a 6-pin & 6+2-pin PCI-e connectors, they are to be used for the GPU. When the 6+2-pin is installed, you will have to two pins hanging off to the side.

3) There is no need to add your 4670. The GTX 260 is a much more powerful GPU, so adding the ATI card will be no benefit and may cause too many driver issues.

4) There is no need to add the additional fans if you aren't overclocking and your temps are fine. If your temps run hot, it might be a good idea to add the additional fans for added cooling.

February 17, 2010 12:08:02 AM

Turn the darned thing "ON", already!
=Al=
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 17, 2010 12:43:20 AM

@Alvin Smith

LOL!

@tecmo34

Thanks for the confirmations and the tip on temps. I just wanted to make sure since the last thing I want is to see my new baby start smoking.

re: ATI card

The reason for adding it is because CUDA programming, which utilizes the Nvidia GPU, runs better when the GPU is not bothered with display rendering. In fact, if you have a display attached there's a time limit on how long your CUDA code can run before timing out (which makes sense otherwise the display performance would be adversely affected). In regards to drivers, I read that Windows 7 can tolerate multiple graphics card drivers. How well it tolerates it is something I'm not sure about yet.

Thanks again.
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:43:33 AM

Best answer selected by hypermem.
m
l
February 17, 2010 1:03:01 AM

hypermem said:
re: ATI card

The reason for adding it is because CUDA programming, which utilizes the Nvidia GPU, runs better when the GPU is not bothered with display rendering. In fact, if you have a display attached there's a time limit on how long your CUDA code can run before timing out (which makes sense otherwise the display performance would be adversely affected). In regards to drivers, I read that Windows 7 can tolerate multiple graphics card drivers. How well it tolerates it is something I'm not sure about yet.

Thanks again.

No Problem on the help...

Okay, it makes sense on the CUDA applications and the need for the ATI card. I'm not to familar with the CUDA application, so I wasn't aware of the benefits.
m
l