Fresh samsung 830 ssd install

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I am waiting for my new ssd to come in. Wanting to make sure I get the absolute most out of my new ssd, I am looking for info on what and how to do things to ensure I get maximum performance. I have read about moving page file to a secondary hdd (don't know how to do this), to updating firmware (before, during, or after install, I do not know), updating bios (before, during or after install of OS, I do not know). or anything else I may have to do before, during or after install. If anyone can give me or direct me to some step by step on what I need to do, I appreciate it. I have heard of turning things on and off in windows, something about a garbage disposal, trim, etc.

Solution
Install your SSD, disconnect your hard drive, power on, make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI instead of IDE, install Windows and the newest version of Intel's RST drivers (only if you have an intel processor), power off and reconnect your hard drive, power on again and make sure your SSD is set as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Now you may install your other software to the SSD if you wish. That's it, you're done. There may be one or two extra steps in there, but they should help you avoid problems.

After installation, you can further optimize your SSD by following the directions on the page below:
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Instead of disabling your pagefile as the article...
RTFM.....

Seriously... read the manual... follow the instructions.... follow the tips to get the most out of your SSD.... If I recall from my local shop selling the 830 they say

"Samsung’s SSD Magician software eliminates the confusion and uncertainties of SSD management, making it simple for users to maximize the performance and lifetime of their Samsung SSD. The software helps to maintain the SSD at its peak condition, giving you the same great performance and reliability throughout the life of your PC. In addition to its performance maintenance features, SSD Magician also provides system information and facilitates performance benchmarking, performance optimization, OS optimization, firmware updates, secure erasing, and over provisioning."

Sounds like it will walk you though it, both SSD and sytem tweaks. You got PLENTY to bet getting on with.
If you dont even know how change your page file... sounds like sticking with the 830 advice is prob best.

Cheers.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Install your SSD, disconnect your hard drive, power on, make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI instead of IDE, install Windows and the newest version of Intel's RST drivers (only if you have an intel processor), power off and reconnect your hard drive, power on again and make sure your SSD is set as the primary boot drive in BIOS. Now you may install your other software to the SSD if you wish. That's it, you're done. There may be one or two extra steps in there, but they should help you avoid problems.

After installation, you can further optimize your SSD by following the directions on the page below:
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Instead of disabling your pagefile as the article suggests, I recommend moving it to your hard drive as it can prevent some Blue Screens.

Solution

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

thanks, but could you explain just a little more to me? what is intel rst drivers? (I have a I5-750 processor) I have win7 home premium 64 bit. Are the drivers not right? Do I have to install the magician software, and if so, before or after re-connecting hdds? Why do I need to disconnect other hdds?

LordConrad

Distinguished
The magician software is a more automated approach to SSD installation. What I have listed is the manual approach so Magician is not needed.

Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) drivers are designed by Intel to get the most performance from your hard drives and SSDs, since you have an Intel processor I recommend installing them (make sure you get the 64-bit ones for Windows 7).

You need to disconnect your hard drives before installing Windows to your SSD to make sure that Windows correctly sets your SSD as the boot drive. Reconnect your other drives after Windows has been installed on your SSD.

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
One thing asked in the OP that I don't see addressed in the subsequent replies is about updating the firmware on the SSD.

IMHO, I would do that before the Windows installation. First check to see if there *is* a newer firmware. If so, download the firmware and follow its instructions (often involving creating a boot CD or USB thumb drive), and plug the bare (no data yet written) SSD in your existing system and update the firmware.

This way, if the firmware flash is destructive (to data), you don't waste and entire cycle of installing Windows.

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
thanks. got the ssd installed, went to samsung site to download firmware update, and dont understand what the hell to do.
they have firmware file (zip)
firmware release notes (pdf)
firmware update tool (iso)
anyone know how this works? I downloaded the zip, but cocunld not unzip. the file extensions are .enc

Think you must be completely inept... did you read my post? ..... did you see the bit that mentioned "Firmware updates"???

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280791-14-fresh-samsung-install#t1908165

old saying comes to mind "none so blind as those that will not see".

Cheers

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

Yes, I did see it, but in the excitement of getting the ssd installed, I forgot to update firmware prior to install. When I did remember, it was too late. i was not going to re-install windows again unless I had to. I took a shot at it after the fact, and it worked. Lucky me. Thanks for the help and the insult, though.

rugman1969

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

I was about to install the rst drivers, and have been reading about it, and wondering if it is worth it or not. I am using ahci mode, no raid, have an i5-750, and am curious as to whether it will increase performance or not. And I have yet to understand what F6 is. Can you explain this to me?

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I'm not sure of F6 I think its just the new 10.0.8 RST drivers. The F6 is also for diskettes so that you can install the drivers before installing the OS. You can update the firmware anytime. Just use a usb boot utility to put firmware on there and boot from the usb, install the firmware..it will reboot to windows. And I would deff get the latest RST drivers just to be sure.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Thanks OP you saved me from making a new post. I just broke down and ordered a 512Gb Samsung 830 SSD and I was wondering what my first steps should be. Some good info here.

I have a few more questions, namely do you format a SSD before you install it like a normal HDD? Or is that unnecessary. And I've heard that you shouldn't defragment SSDs because it will shorten their lifespan without increasing performance. Is this true? Any other tips besides the magician software for increasing SSD lifespan?

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Wow 512gb, how much did that set you off? Well first you don't need to format it. It comes empty.

Yes, do not defragment SSD's there is no need to. In fact after installing windows just turn defrag off.

For lifespan, you can follow Tom's guide on how to optimize the SSD. You can turn off hibernation, move user directories, temp files..but since its 512gb do you really need to? All those tweaks are if you want to save space really.

I would lower the pagefile to around 1gb min and max. That is if you have more than 4gb of RAM.

LordConrad

Distinguished

Yes you really really want the RST drivers for an i5 using AHCI mode. F6 driver is the diskette based driver you install during Windows installation. Most people use the standard RST driver which you install after Windows, just like any other program.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Thanks for the advice.

Newegg was having a sale, $675 shipped, comes out to $1.32/gb which was like 20% cheaper than the 256gb version. I had a fat tax refund this year or I wouldn't be able to afford it :)

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

+1 on all those recommendations. If you are doing a fresh installation of Windows 7, it recognizes the SSD and will automatically turn of defrag for that drive.

TRENDING THREADS