Crossfire Graphics Cards

blamire3

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I have recently purchased a Crossfire motherboard and put in 1 graphics card which is Gigabyte GeForce 9400GT 512MB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 DVI. This runs fine but i want more as i have a crossfire board with a spare graphics slot available. I was wondering if i put in another graphics card in would it need to be the same to run at a better quality or cud i put [Gigabyte GeForce 9400GT 1GB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 DVI (OverClocked)] in the spare slot to have 1.5gb of graphics which would make it alot better? I have been told if the graphics cards are not the same it runs at the slowest one and therefor the second one is a complete waste of money. But because they are the same graphics card just different sizes is this an upgrade?

Thanks for reading and I would really appriciate your help.
Blamire3 :wahoo:

first off your card is nVidia which is SLI, Not crossfire (ATI)

So if you really do have a crossfire motherboard then you cannot have SLI 9400GT's as you would need an SLI capable motherboard.

Secondly, with SLI the card need to be the same. So you would need to get another 9400GT 512MB.

Thirdly, The memory is NOT doubled or added. For example: 2 x 9400GT 512MB Does NOT equal 1GB og video memory, But you would have 2 x GPU's.

Lastly, Yes if you have 1 card that is overclocked higher than another card whilst running SLI or Crossfire the overclocked card will be underclocked to the slower cards clocks.

blamire3

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
could you recommend a reasonable price 1gb graphics card for around £50 that is compatible with my motherboard and with options to double up in the future

thanks