Sign in with
Your question

AMD vs Intel

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2010 3:00:14 AM

ya, ya, ya. Another amd vs intel thread.

Well, I'm helping out a college student who desperately needs a computer and so, I'm giving him my athlon x3 440 rig. I'll be keeping my 4870 though, since onboard is fine for what he'll be doing.

Anywho, I'd like to know which one will be the better investment, so I won't need to upgrade until june of 2011 :) .

I'll be running a w/c set up and so I can; hopefully, get the i3 to 4ghz or something near that criteria. The phenom IIs on the other hand, offer nice performance w/o over clocking, and have cheaper motherboards.

I'm not partial to AMD or Intel since I own comps with both and they both are exceptional. So yeah, which one will be better until 2011? By then I should have enough money for a kickass rig.

My budget for a cpu varies depending on the price of it w/ the motherboard. I'm looking around the Phenom 945, i3 530 area, if that makes sense

I really like intel's motherboards over the cpus, since some have sli and xfire for a similar price

More about : amd intel

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 29, 2010 3:08:47 AM

It's all about "Budget" - if you build a rig > $1,200+ and can afford X58 {soon X68} then Intel, but under $1,000 it gets fuzzy.

Trust me, I love AMD and their next rendition "Bulldozer" will be interesting to see...
m
l
September 29, 2010 3:17:25 AM

hm, ok. Well, 310$ for a cpu and mobo. The main reason I like intel is because the mobos have sli and crossfire as well as usb 3.0 and such.
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 29, 2010 3:43:16 AM

Then there's the "fuzzy" - the reason I mentioned "loved" is because "my experience" with AMD has been extremely positive; the seem to run smoother and with less incident.

For the money $280 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black & ASUS M4N98TD EVO

BTW - I know it lacks CF + USB 3, but it is hard to beat.
m
l
a c 261 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
September 29, 2010 4:08:12 PM

What will you be using the PC for?
Gaming? At what resolution?
Compute intensive apps? Are they enabled for 2/4/more cores?

Is there a real need for water cooling? Do you already have the parts?

What will you do with the interim PC come June 2011?

Some thoughts:

Sandy bridge will launch about Jan 2011. I expect it to be a blockbuster.

Water cooling is about as effective as a decent air cooler if you have a good case.

SLI/Crossfire is useful, only if you contemplate a graphics configuration stronger than a GTX480. And... if you will be running 2560 x 1600 or dual 1080P monitors.

6gb sata is useful only if you contemplate a very strong SSD, which is not expected until Jan 2011.

USB 3.0 is very useful for external backup. It is nice, but not necessary on the motherboard because add-in usb3.0 cards are available.

AMD and Intel are both competitive. Intel is stronger on a clock for clock basis, but AMD competes with price, giving the same compute power per dollar.

m
l
September 29, 2010 9:32:27 PM

geofelt said:
What will you be using the PC for?
Gaming? At what resolution?
Compute intensive apps? Are they enabled for 2/4/more cores?

Is there a real need for water cooling? Do you already have the parts?

What will you do with the interim PC come June 2011?

Some thoughts:

Sandy bridge will launch about Jan 2011. I expect it to be a blockbuster.

Water cooling is about as effective as a decent air cooler if you have a good case.

SLI/Crossfire is useful, only if you contemplate a graphics configuration stronger than a GTX480. And... if you will be running 2560 x 1600 or dual 1080P monitors.

6gb sata is useful only if you contemplate a very strong SSD, which is not expected until Jan 2011.

USB 3.0 is very useful for external backup. It is nice, but not necessary on the motherboard because add-in usb3.0 cards are available.

AMD and Intel are both competitive. Intel is stronger on a clock for clock basis, but AMD competes with price, giving the same compute power per dollar.

Well, my case is a test bench, so yeah. I'm running dual 1920 x 1080 monitors, and I'll be gaming at that res. Next June, I'll have enough money saved up for new components; though, I'd like to keep my motherboard. I'm familiar with AMDs motherboards, though for say 200$, I'd rather get an Intel one which has sli, and crossfire, since I might buy an nvidia card a long the road, plus and additional gimmicky features.

In my opinion, Motherboard manufactures give AMD the bottom side of the barrel
m
l
September 29, 2010 9:52:08 PM

Without knowing what your budget is, its hard to recommend parts for you, but if you want to start a base for a "kickass" rig right now, this combo is a ridiculously good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Compare to the above poster's $280 Phenom 2 955 cpu+mobo combo, and this one blows it away for only $10 more after MIR. And as another poster said, the USB 3.0 and SATA 3 are nice, but wholly unnecessary at this point in time, as the peripherals required to take advantage of such add-ons are ridiculously expensive for a budget build of any kind.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:02:31 PM

mattimeo005 said:
Without knowing what your budget is, its hard to recommend parts for you, but if you want to start a base for a "kickass" rig right now, this combo is a ridiculously good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Compare to the above poster's $280 Phenom 2 955 cpu+mobo combo, and this one blows it away for only $10 more after MIR. And as another poster said, the USB 3.0 and SATA 3 are nice, but wholly unnecessary at this point in time, as the peripherals required to take advantage of such add-ons are ridiculously expensive for a budget build of any kind.

Yeah, my budget for a cpu and mobo is 310$, which I calculated to be enough. I'm looking for something that atleast has SLI and Crossfire, since I may or may not run sli in the future; but, it'd be nice to have it available when I do.

I'm also looking for something that can be pushed to 4ghz easily, on water. (I'm probably gonna stick with water)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-... is at the top of my list for motherboards at the moment.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 29, 2010 10:51:50 PM

^ ASUS Sabertooth X58 ($200) + i7 930 or i7 950 ($285 - $300) which is ~ $500 then add everything else and you're staring at > $1,200+ as I initially posted.

Your at 167% of you "$300" budget?!
m
l
a c 261 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
September 29, 2010 10:56:32 PM

The cheapest processor that the X58 sabretooth motherboard can run is an Intel i7-930, a $285 processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you are near a microcenter, they will sell you one for $199. That combo exceeds your budget considerably.
You will also need some DDR3 ram. The good news is that the mobo and cpu will allow you sufficient capability to bypass the next generation if Intel or AMD.

There is no current motherboard that will support sandy bridge or, bulldozer.

With your current budget, I suggest a more modest plan:

Get an interim cpu and motherboard that will drive your 4870 adequately.

Consider a i3-530 for $ 115:
and a minimum P55 motherboard like the EVGA micro for $75:

I suspect that a current 4gb DDR3 ram kit will still be the standard when the new gen intel and amd cpu's arrive.

Just plan on selling the cpu and motherboard on e-bay or wherever when you next plan to build.

If you already have water cooling parts, OK...use them. If you don't, just get a decent air cooler. It will be cheaper, and do the same job.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:58:02 PM

Oh ok, I see. I got confused since with amd, you can use a phenom x4 on an older chipset.

I've only used intel on a gaming laptop that I have.

I got wc parts for my gpu already, and a water block is just as much as a decent air cooler. I think I'll just add it to my loop and I'll be good to go. I am planning on selling my 4870 soon, for a 58xx card when prices drop
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 29, 2010 11:43:50 PM

^ I posted a great AMD + SLI solution {above}, so do you want nVida or ATI GPU? In a nutshell that's the trade-off and the decision you need to make; personally I "currently" prefer nVidia for gaming.

Otherwise, you need to decide AMD or Intel, and then decide SLI or CF. Yep, X58 MOBO's make indecision very easy.
m
l
September 30, 2010 12:27:28 AM

EDIT:

I decided to go with nvidia sli since they're starting to drop their prices on the gtx 460. I suppose AMD is good for single card solutions, and I'll just buy a 5870 toxic if I desire them
m
l
!