Q6600 Overclocking Help!

w1ze

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hello everybody. This is my very first post on the forums and i'm not very good with forums but there's something that's been bothering me for a long time and you guys seem to know your stuff. So here's the deal:

I've been running the intel Q6600 @ 2.4 (stock) since i've had it( 4.5 years) and it's come to when it can't deal with most new games anymore. I'm mostly playing Guild Wars 2 (20 avg FPS in towns), Battlefield 3 (45 avg FPS @ 720p) and Counter Strike:Global Offensive (80 avg FPS). What i want from this CPU is a little more performance since i need it to last another year and replacing it would mean i'd have to get a new mobo as well :/.

So my question is how much i can overclock this processor and still get decent temparatures and normal behavior with it.
Currently i'm running stock intel cooler but i'm thinking of buying the CM Hyper 212+.

Some of my specs:
MOBO:75 > GA-P35C-DS3R
RAM:4x1GB @800MHz
GPU:Radeon 6670 OC Edition GDDR3
HDD:500GB @ 7200 RPM
Monitor:23" LED @1080 (IF that even Matters)

CPU-Z: http://prntscr.com/kkok8
CPUID: http://prntscr.com/kkomo

I know my GPU isn't the best, but it was a quick replacement after my eVGA 8800GT died on me :/

Thanks for your time & help,

w1ze

DeepDystopia

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
you can prolly oc the cpu and ram 20%, and get about half of that in gaming improvement. the half your not getting is because you cant overclock video cards near as much as cpu's and ram. when you overclock, you have to up the voltage and increase the cooling, and not that many video cards allow for the ram to be adjusted, so, the overclock youll see in a gfx card is around 8%.

with a 20% oc in your cpu and ram (you may not even need a better cooler, just more exaust fans might be enuf), your looking at about a 2.88ghz cpu and around 967mhz in your ram. the better your cooling, the more you can up your frequency and voltages.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Add a better cooler and set your FSB to 333, most Q6600 will run 3.0 GHz without any voltage change. I am running the same CPU with a 6950 HD 2 GB and the GPU is the bottelneck with BC3 @ ultra on a 27" monitor @ 1080.

blackdevilmt

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2012

He is right I owned a Q6600 in the past it shouldn't be a problem going to 3.0ghz with stock voltage. Overclocking is just continuous testing for example with OCCT,prime95 etc... Increase the FSB by small burst and voltage relatively. Personally I'd get it, it worked for me with a good ventilated case and a good cooler( get the evo rly it isn't expensive) 3.2ghz 1.28v should be fine.

PS:Edit clean case every 3-6 months just some air sprays aerosol and if changing cooler either buy artic silver 5 or mx-4 and do the line method :)