$6,000 Gaming rig Questions

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
My friend has recently contacted me about his new, well, computer.
He has a $6,000 budget.
He has never built a computer before, and i was wondering how daunting it would be for him to build one like this. Watercooling, multiple GPUS and such, how easy is this for a first time build.

Also, i will not be able to help him. Is it possible for him to do, and if so, whats some good hardware out there (Budget Box myself). If not, what are the good prebuilts?

EDIT: Also will need a monitor (or 4), keyboard, and he wants a Razer Naga
Thanks in Advance
~Flavoi

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Holy Crap...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That can make a sweet rig !!
go ssd for your main drive

I would say go asus with your mobo but they kinda went downhill lately so i would go with gigabite!!!

I Prefer amd over intel so i would go with a Phenom black edition

and deffinatly go with ddr3 ram clocked at 1600

go with 2 hd5970's in crossfire

and get a thermaltake psu!!!

go blue ray ...

I could go on because if i had that much to spend on a rig i would be soooooooooo happy!!!!

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Planned on it

Ok, any good models out there?

AMD FTW

I would think 8 gb is enough, according to that one Lifehacker post.

Only 2 :p

I wouldnt have though of that, i would have said Corsair

Maybe. He has a PS3, so i will ask

Me too.

My main question, can he handle it, with water cooling and all?

( My main question, can he handle it, with water cooling and all?)

That would all depend on him, how much time he has to read up on his end goal and how to do it in a fun way that he doesn't get frustrated to the point he dont even want to deal with it anymore.

I would say stay away from the water cooling for now and just get the PC up and running

You can still OC well with a good air cooled HSF

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Its his first build, i would say no.

And at that price range, there is no reason not to go intel. As much as i like AMD, if you have the money to wipe your ass with, intel is better then AMD lol.

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Ok. Then what are some good premades?

Yeah somehow it posted without me being done

anyways i edited i would stay away from water cooling

start out small maybe 1 GPU and work up from there

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Didn't think about that, so maybe add WC later, making sure the case has the holes.

EDIT: Anyone have any fantastic builds? I am used to budget, and not this, erm, Price range

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
First, tell your friend to wind his ROLEX and roll up the windows on his Beemer!

Second, inform your friend that I only charge $1000 to spec out a $5k system, so he will stay well within budget ... I will build it for him, for another grand.

Dark Giggilo gave good advice, but I think I *might have* some even better advice ... I feel almost certain that he will chime-in, and let us know if he agrees ... call me pschic ... just don't call me "Shirley" (I jest).

So, without going into the logic of "tried and true" or "single vendor sourcing", I will just throw some links at you (fellers).

http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/

Aw, screw it, that is the only link I'm giving him (for free) ...

Just know that you will want a quality, full-tower case, several of which provide punch-outs (case holes) for liquid cooling hose/lines. That should be attainable, at newegg, searching on Cases>>ATX>>Full Tower >>> Sort price from "highest to lowest" .

Also, the choice is really 3-way SLI or 4-way (the PSU must be exactly right, for a 4-way and the EVGA cobos/kits will help you match up a case & PSU.

I recommend LCD-HDTVs, as monitors ... 32" 120-240Hz 3D ready 1080P ... much more bang-fer-the-bux ... look for analog audio out, too.

Does he wanna do simulations? Shooters? Fantasy? Poker?

The gaming controls are dependent on apps ...

Also, for that money, he may wish to velcro a PS3 and an X-Box onto the sides of his system unit, as an adjunct to compatibility.

A 12 channel, analog (stereo) audio mixer board would help manage all the varios audio ...

I have two KRK RP8s and an S10(woofer) powered studio monitors, hooked up to my studio output mixer.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-8-Generation-2-104908686-i1401614.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-CFX12-mkII-Mixer-103232856-i1153584.gc

=Al=

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

He said something about Chess....

Anyways, would the linked motherboards fit into the 900? it says some modifications may be required, and, well, being his first build he might not be able to do that.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
That is funny lol

wow....

Deffinatly go with "tried and true" equiptment

Read reviews get some good combonations brainstorm

if you go amd, get ati

if you go intel, get nvidia

with that much money you can do what ever the hell you want

if you go with an amd / ati rig you can put more money into ssd space and some movie theater monitor or something some built in 15 inch subs or something definatly go with an lcd monitor they are high end because the look AMAZING!!!!! (and the rest of us cant afford them) (or ssd for that matter)

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Jeeesh !!! Give a bunch of poor, lustful G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) dweebs a big box of money and they all go ber-zerk! (like Billy Jack!) ...

... I thought there were only 3 people on this forum, tonite, and look at all the lurkers that spring from the woodwork ! ... Obama should give some of that stimulus money to US !!! ... we know 'zactly what to do with it.

Just tell yer Pal to "Buy a whole bunch of the most expensive crap, at newegg, and cobble it together and, if no workie, then buy a whole bunch more crap and cobble some more. Sell the left-overs on eBay, but tell me before he does". (end quote).

=belch=

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

"I got 4 cases, and when i tried to put them together, they got stuck. Say, let me buy you a plane ticket and you can come help me!"

Well... I will tell him to pick a bunch of pretty/shinny/expensive stuff from Newegg. Any more "Get X not Y" ?

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Well, the 4-way "Classified" board is definately E-ATX (requires an extended case) ... there are cases that work, to be sure, but I would find out where the "official" Classified forum is and, ask folks what they have built ... my experience is that they may just want to boast of their obvious bling and prowess. Just a guess.

=Urrrrp=

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
he should get that newer MOBO that is the size of a large pizza box, it holds like 64 gigs of ram and i think 2 cpus? or 4? lol

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/17204/37/

FOund the link lol

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well, I would like some links or ideas on a PSU. (and the rest of the parts, for that matter)

Also, it turns out this will be a "gift", so he gets on chance at "buying" the parts. Bummer...

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

This?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.335232

This is nice, saves me some work.

Cant figure out why there are 2 Blu Ray burners though... Pirate Ready?

EDIT: Done for the night, ill send this link to him and tell him its an option.