ms

Does anyone have any clue as to why I would be getting an access denied
message when I attempt to manage another computer with a domain admin user
on the network and then go into the event viewer? I can connect and see the
services, etc. but I am not able to open event viewer.

I get "unable to connect to the computer "computername". The error was:
access is denied

operating system is windows xp sp1

Give this a shot:

Open Regedit or Regedt32
Navigate to
HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServer\Winreg
Check to see if the Local System has read permissions
Check subfolders
Check to see if Local System has read permissions

If the Local System is missing or does not have read permissions give it read
permissions

David Hancock
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

Why even bother with regedt32 in XP?

Regedt32.exe
[[In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program
that just runs Regedit.exe.]]
Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

If your response was from >>>
How to Manage Remote Access to the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314837

I submitted a comment to MS about their reference to using Regedt32.exe in
that article. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:0bf7b$fwEHA.3028@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl,
David Hancock <a-daveha@microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

*
> David Hancock
> Microsoft Server Setup Team
>
> Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
>
> Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
>
> See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
>

> NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
> allows others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps
> to ensure a more timely response. Thank you!
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
> implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
> merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
>
> The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine
> and do not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions
> of Microsoft.

**