New motherboard problem.

maveric29

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hello,
I just got my new parts from newegg today and tried to set everything up. after i got the whole thing assembled it wouldn't work. the post codes seem to indicate an improperly installed video card. it is 2 clearly long beeps followed by a bit shorted beep but still longer then any short beeps i remember (its been a long time since i had to listen to beep codes). this happens when i have the video card installed and when not. (the mobo has on board GFX).as far as i can tell i installed it all properly, all the power connectors are connected and i cant really think of what else to check. is it possible i got both a DOA Mobo and GFX card? any way all relevant parts are listed below. and any help would be appreciated.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H

GFX: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

proc: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7

again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
remove the memory modules, reseat them... and check if it still beeps then try different slots for the memory...

If this didnt do the trick, ill say the motherboard is DOA...

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
remove the memory modules, reseat them... and check if it still beeps then try different slots for the memory...

If this didnt do the trick, ill say the motherboard is DOA...

Solution

maveric29

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
thanks a lot dur_trix, witching the ram to the other slots got it to beep the code that said its posting normally. only thing now is i cant get a picture out of it, i tried every dvi slot available any other ideas?

dur_trix

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
no problem man, had same issues before as you mentioned above...

Did you install both the memory modules in the white slots, or the blue slots? Or one in white the other in blue? the reason i want to know is i had a ASUS board with the same issues as you mentioned. But i confirmed that the Dimm slot nr 1 and 3 were dead, and went to RMA the board... but ok...

Ok so we made progress, it Post's normal (assuming you are hearing 1 beep), but now its not sending data to the screen.

I went and checked your board specs... very nice board, WD!

Ok i suggest you try the following:

1. Make sure the GFX is seated properly
2. Make sure the GFX has the two six-pin power connecters, connected.
3. Make sure the DVI cable is connected properly on the card as well as the screen itself (if not tightly secured with the screws, they tend to slip out)

If the above did not solve the problem i suggest you try:

1. test the screen you are using for that PC, on another PC just to make sure the screen isnt faulty.
2. try installing the GFX in the other PCI-E slot and see what happens.

Good luck... keep me posted on whats happing :D