Hotspot or bad sensor?

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have a problem in my case. This is a follow up to my antec 300 air flow post. It seems that I either have a bad sensor or a hot spot in my case due to positive pressure. I clean my case once a week so its not dirty. But as you will see, I have a sensor reading 53c when the hottest hardware I have is my GPU idling at 39c. So anyways, I already emailed MSI about this, but I wanted to ask the experts as well.

cpustats.png

Solution
You do have a bad sensor but its not on the board. The 53 is the hottest temperature that sensor has hit while HW monitor is open, temp 0 is generally the socket temperature.

The temperature sensor i think is bad is your CPU one, its saying its running at 19C, when the case temp sensor is reading 20C, now this just isnt possible. For a stock heatsink 10C above ambient at idle is about what one expects, if we assume the CPU is reading the right temp then your room is a mere 48F, if we assume that your case temp one is reading right then your idle is at about 30C, much more plausible.

Try using speedfan and rivatuner to see what temps they tell you, also how cold is the room you are in? That will give us an idea if any of your...
You do have a bad sensor but its not on the board. The 53 is the hottest temperature that sensor has hit while HW monitor is open, temp 0 is generally the socket temperature.

The temperature sensor i think is bad is your CPU one, its saying its running at 19C, when the case temp sensor is reading 20C, now this just isnt possible. For a stock heatsink 10C above ambient at idle is about what one expects, if we assume the CPU is reading the right temp then your room is a mere 48F, if we assume that your case temp one is reading right then your idle is at about 30C, much more plausible.

Try using speedfan and rivatuner to see what temps they tell you, also how cold is the room you are in? That will give us an idea if any of your temperature sensors are calibrated accurately.

Solution

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
MSI says I am getting a false reading from 3rd party software. I don't have a stock heatsink, I am using a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ with a 110cfm scythe fan on it. The Case exhaust fan behind the mobo is the same fan. My house is cold but its not 48F, closer to high 70F since that is what the house is set to. Speed Fan and HW Monitor are showing the exact same temps. Installing rivatuner right now.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
My mobo is about 45 days old so I guess I need to get MSI to get off their butts and RMA this board. I am going to see what these BIOS updates do first.

Man that sucks. This is my first CPU build, I have been wanting to redo my heatsink but not because of a bad board. I even have all my cables a bundled nice and neat to limit airflow restriction, which I will have to redo it all now.