Hyper 212 plus problem?

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I just bought coolermaster's hyper 212 plus cooler after doing much research to cool my phenom ii x4 955 be c3 cpu.But it is performing almost same as the crappy stock heat sink.My load temps with prime 95 are 59'c max on cpu and 54'c max on core.I have even undervolted the cpu to 1.280v and haven't done any overclocking .I have removed boot case panels.What could be my problem
?
one more thing i am using the thermal paste that came with the hyper 212 plus and as far as i think i have rechecked and reinstalled the heatsink and have applied tim correcctly.

Lutfij

Titan
i take it that your using the stock CM fan that came with the package :) theres a few questions first

1) what is your PC case?
2) what sort of setup do you have with the fan (e'g - push-pull?)
3) cable clutter?
4) if possible can you give us a shot of your case innards?

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Your temps seem too high. I am inclined to agree with something being wrong.
I used OCZ freeze paste with mine, and I dropped temps ~20 degrees at load, though its not a fair comparison because I also switched cases at the time.
A couple questions...
1. What was your TIM procedure like? I'm of the general mindset that a "pea sized" amount is loads too much. For the 212+ I did the following. First I took some time and filled in the gaps between the copper pipes and the block with TIM, then squeeged the rest off with a credit card. Then I applied two very thin lines of TIM in the middle of the heat sink.
2. Your fan on the 212+...its pointing in the same direction as your exhaust fan right? You don't have fan's fighting each other do you?
3. I too wonder about your case clutter and setup. What case do you have? Post a pic if you can.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Either you didn't install it properly or the Hyper 212+ is defective (has cracked heat pipes but this is doubtful). I have the same setup and even overclocked full time 3.6 ~ 3.8 Ghz idle temps should be low 30's, full load stress testing P95 should be high 50's.

Too much or too little paste and if the base isn't squarely lined with the CPU are all items to check.

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Well as i have mentioned i am using an open test bed for my setup(No case) so air flow shouldn't be a problem.I have used the TIM that came with the hyper 212 plus.I applied the paste on bottom of the cooler and spread it evenly then mounted it on the cpu.
My hardisk temps are about 38'c on idle, can you guess my room temperature by that as i don't have any thermometer with me,also at noon(max temps in the day ) my gpu idles at 54'c and 49'c in night.I have 9600gt.Please try to guess my room temps by this information.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
^+1. I used that benchmark reviews guide. I put the paste on the cooler along the channels between the heatpipes and ran a razorblade along the bottom of the cooler at about a 45 degree angle moving the paste around and adding more where needed until the channels were filled in and the base of the cooler was basically clean. Then I put two small, thin strips of paste evenly spaced on the channel as shown near the bottom of the article, in the picture above where it says "For my final application method, two short lines measuring half the total length of the processor were placed on the two center mounting base partitions."

Make sure when you mount it the pressure is evenly applied. You'll want to tighten the screws the same way you put a tire on your car. Not clockwise or counterclockwise. But instead, if you label the screws in a clockwise manner of 1 - 2 - 3 - 4, then tighten 1 part way, move to 3, move to 2, then 4. Repeat the cycle until the HSF is secured.

With ambient temps around 18C I saw my idle temp drop from 25C to 18C. Full load under Prime95 dropped from over 80C to 51C.

abhishekshukla1989

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009

so you mean i just have to make it fully tight before mounting on cpu cooler.I hope that this is the cause of problem and i will fix it as soon as possible.
Thanks