RAM problem

deblblair

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
After searching the internet I found ours. After reading all of the complaints and problems with the Gateway LT2104 I knew I was in trouble. I purchased the netbook and finally getting around to upgrading from the 1gb to the 2gb memory card. Went to Fry's and they suggested the Patriot 2 gb DDR2 PC5300 667 which I purchased. Took it home (I have changed memory cards before) and proceeded to change out the card. When I turned on the computer all I had was a black screen. Did'nt understand. Proceeded to go through the removal of the just purchased Patriot memory card and reinstall the memory card hat came with the netbook. Thought maybe it was a bad memory card I purchased. Anyway, after reinserting the original memory card back into the computer and closing up I turned on the computer. Again I have a black screen? I am so baffled at this momen as I now don't know what has happened? Now the original card won't work either?
After searching the internet and finding your site I did find some answers to the black screen and the problems finding the right memory card but still a little confused on which one I am suppose to get or use. Looks like a couple of ansers have found the solution but cannot for th life of me figure it out. States to go up to the 800 and that should work, not sure which brand to gt Kingston? Or Best Buy brand?

Also why do I still have a black screen with the original card installed back in. Any hlp on these issues would be greatly appreciated as now I cannot even use the netbook can't see anything! How to correct the black screen with original loaded 1 gb memory card and which new 2 gb memory card to buy. I am at a loss here, I am not a computer expert by any means I know how to change som things out but this problem is driving me crazy..Really would like to see a start up or something on the screen at this point. Once that is solved unless something happened, would like to still upgrade to 2gb. Went to th gateway site for the suggested retailers they say to use, however, no one even mentioned ny of those companies and can I trut them if this memory problem is going through the world of Gateway netbooks. They may have the wrong memory card also?

Sorry this is so long I am just a wits ends already. Thanks to All who can help me....Please and any suggestions as to which memory 2gb card to purchase would be helpful as I am not sure which one it is now

Solution
Hi deblblair and welcome to Tom's forum.

Try reseting the BIOS of the mobo for do that u need check the manual of the rig the manufacturer should explain the process in the manual. After do that insert the original RAM and try to boot again.
Hi deblblair and welcome to Tom's forum.

Try reseting the BIOS of the mobo for do that u need check the manual of the rig the manufacturer should explain the process in the manual. After do that insert the original RAM and try to boot again.

Solution

deblblair

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Saint19
Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for the title haven't gone on sites like this for help before so at a loss on how to start it. The manuel, don't have....Really no manual that came with it limited info, but maybe on the manufacturers site somewhere. I did check some information on the manufacturers site previously for this netbook and couldn't locate anything to help me.

So I would go and look up the BIOS on manufacturer site and it should give some sort of explanation on how to do this? What actually is the MOBO? Sorry but not real good with the abbreviations yet and meanings? I cannot view anything on the netbook as it is black so how can I set something? Maybe I will wait to ask this question till after I look up the suggestion you gave. As long as I do not have to view anything with the black screen should be OK. I will get back to you after I read up. Thanks again. So nice to know there are people willing to help with problems.

deblblair

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Saint19
You are a lifesaver and good teacher. I just completed the task and the netbook is up and running. thanks for the great reply. Just took some learning on my part. No need to contact gateway searched the site and found information I need and the manual which I have now downloaded for myself.
My next problem is now upgrading to the 2gb memory card. I checked out the card that came with the netbook Memory Card is as follows: A Data 1 GB 1RX PC2 6400S-666 with the number 10130044. This seems strange to me as all cards I have been searching for online that I need reflect the 5400 for the 667 not the 6400 which is the 800 and no where is there such a thing as 666 (667 listed). I found CompUSA which carries the A Data 2GB (2048MB) Memory card, all identifiying number for item etc do not match but they carry a 2GB PC6400 800MHz speed and 200 pin.

thought maybe I would stick with ssame manufacturer, however, confused with the card that is now in the netbook. Souldn't the PC6400 be a 800MHz but the actual memory card shows its the 666 (667) could be a typo on the label?

should I contact CompUSA before the purchase or does it sound right for the upgrade to you? I don't know too much about compUSA, do you?

Also am I suppose to also be posting to the community? I thought I was but I don't think I did. Again thank you for your assistance your have been so informative and helpful.

If you need me to post to community so I don't have to keep bothering you let me know, unless I have. I have to get use to using the site and become familiar with how it works.

Since the original RAM that comes with the laptop is A DATA u should try to go with the same manufacturer because u already know that works fine with the laptop.

PC2-6400 SO-DIMM is rated @ 800MHz but if the mobo do't support that speed, the mobo down grade the RAM speed to the best speed supported by the mobo that in ur case is 667. The 6400 are ok, but can't run @800MHz because the mobo don't support that speed.

For the update both PC2-5300 (5400 in some cases) and PC2-6400 are ok just be sure that the laptop support the 2GB stick before purchase the RAM.

I'm not from the USA but CompUSA is powered by TigerDirect that is a very good e-shop and has many local stores in the USA.

deblblair

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Saint19
thanks for the quick answer. I was confused with what was actually installed on this netbook. Will stick with the AData as you suggested and go with the PC2-5300 and 6400 667. thank you again so much your help has been invaluable.